Softball’s success streak continues with four more wins

Eagles continue win streak with wins against Vanguard and others.

Senior catcher Celina Thornton slides in an effort to get on base to set up a chance to score against the Vanguard Lions on Saturday afternoon. Although the Eagles defeated the Lions in the first game 3-2, they were not able to produce similar results in the second game and fell 2-0. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Senior catcher Celina Thornton slides in an effort to get on base to set up a chance to score against the Vanguard Lions on Saturday afternoon. After four wins this past weekend, the softball women will host Concordia on Saturday. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES [file photo]

The softball team claimed four wins to continue their incredible season on Friday against Vanguard University. Biola followed up on Tuesday against the University of Antelope Valley. The Eagles’ season is now 31-7 overall and 12-4 in conference play.

The first game remained runless until the sixth inning, when senior pitcher Cece Luster doubled to open up the possibility for junior outfielder Brooke Madrid to score.

The Eagles held off Vanguard’s offense throughout the entire game and did not allow them to score. Junior pitcher Reba DePriest continued her strong pitching throughout both games and struck out 11 batters for the day. DePriest was also named Golden State Athletic Conference pitcher of the week for her stellar performance.

Sophomore third baseman Heather Hall pushed the Eagles’ lead forward with her fourth homerun of the season in the seventh inning. Hall also brought home teammates freshman pitcher Kimmy Triolo and junior second baseman Ashley Spadt to finish the game 4-0.

The last time Biola played Vanguard they won the first game and lost the second. Vanguard looked to repeat the same results by taking the lead in the second inning, 2-0. 

However, Biola quickly tied up the game in the third inning. Senior first baseman Vanessa Coleman took advantage of a throwing error to bring home DePreist. That set up the opportunity for Hall to score off of Madrid’s single.

Spadt was hit by the pitch in the fifth inning with the bases loaded to give Biola their first lead of the game. Hall doubled in the same inning.

Biola completely dominated in their games against Antelope Valley on Tuesday. The Eagles clenched a 10-2 win in the first game and 6-0 in the second.

The Eagles are now looking forward to a rematch against No. 1 Concordia University. The last time Biola played Concordia, the Eagles were denied runs in the first game. Although the Eagles were able to get two runs in the second game, it was not enough to secure a win and Biola dropped 2-4.

Biola will host Concordia on Saturday at 12 p.m.