Track: Top ten finishes in Point Loma Invitational

Men and women’s track and field teams finish in top ten.

Senior Danny Ledesma pushes through the 1,500 meter race during the La Verne meet earlier this season. Senior Danny Ledesma ran 4:02.11 in the 1,500 meter race at the Point Loma Collegiate Invitational on Saturday to secure a first place finish, sending him to Outdoor Nationals. | Courtesy of Jessi Kung

Laurie Bullock, Writer

The men and women’s track and field teams dominated in the Point Loma Collegiate Invitational on Saturday. Between both teams there was a total of 34 top-10 finishes as well as three qualifying times for the NAIA Outdoor Track & Field Championship.

The women were able to qualify two competitors with the “A” standard for nationals. Senior Taylor McCahon qualified for nationals in the pole vault with her first place jump of 3.60 meters. Freshman Lyndee Dawson also qualified for nationals in the 3,000 steeplechase with a time of 11:08.86.

Another big finisher for the women was Sophomore Anika Gasner, who took a first place finish in the 1,500 meter race with her time of 4:49.02. Senior Whitney Freeburg threw 11.08 to earn a fourth place finish in the shot put.

Junior Kevin Horchler nabbed the men’s first qualifying time in the 3,000 steeplechase with a time of 9:20.22. Horchler’s time also earned him a second place finish in the overall meet.

Senior Danny Ledesma ran 4:02.11 in the 1,500 meter race to secure a first place finish.

Both the men and the women will compete in the Coast Classic in Costa Mesa on April 4.