Baseball takes two of three from ACU

Eagles win series against Arizona Christian.

Senior Sage Poland swings in hopes of a good run during the game against Arizona Christian University last season. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Senior Sage Poland swings in hopes of a good run during the game against Arizona Christian University. Baseball won two out of three games against ACU last weekend. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

After falling into another lengthy losing-streak, Biola baseball picked up two games out of a three game series against Arizona Christian University over the weekend.

The Eagles scored a combined 24 runs in the three games, having scored only two total runs the previous three games.

The bats got hot early on Friday for Biola, as they tacked on two runs in the second and three runs in the fifth. Senior shortstop Johnny Farrington and sophomore catcher Sam Thorne had successful afternoons, both going 2-4 with a an RBI and an extra-base hit.

Junior lefty Garrett Picha pitched a gem for the Eagles, striking out nine and walking only two. Picha gave up three runs on four hits in the sixth to the Firestorm, but gave up just one hit over the other eight innings.

Saturday morning, Biola spent most of the game digging themselves out of a hole.

Sophomore left-hander Eric Diomartich gave up four runs in the top of the first, walking in the final run of the inning. The southpaw settled into a rhythm over the next few innings, retiring 16 straight batters, however would leave in the sixth after giving up two more runs.

EAGLES GRIND OUT TO THE FINISH

Despite a fourth inning homer by Thorne to tie the game at four, the Eagles were unable to respond to ACU’s sixth inning surge and dropped their 30th game on the season.

The final game of the series was a back and forth slugfest which featured a total of 23 runs and 28 hits combined between the two teams.

After being down six, the Firestorm climbed their way back into the game and ultimately tied the Eagles in the top of the sixth. However, a leadoff double by Farrington, a single from senior David McNeill, and a walk-off fielder’s choice from junior Tanner Swire gave Biola a 12-11 victory.

The Eagles are 11-31, and despite marching towards the end of what could be the worst season in Biola baseball history, they continue to grind out wins here and there.

Currently sixth in the Golden State Athletic Conference, Biola looks to shake things up after a week break and will take on Cal State San Marcos this coming Tuesday at 2 p.m. in San Marcos.