Routine scripts exist at any kind of church

Melanie Kim addresses the tendency to “go through the motions” of church.

Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Melanie Kim, Writer

Protestants love to criticize Catholics and other liturgical Christians for “going through the motions” of church like a routine. Kneel, cross yourself, say a prayer.

But I dare to compare that to our own routine: sing some songs, fill in the blanks of your handout and bow your head until the pastor says “amen.”

Mainstream Protestants have no right to criticize liturgical Christians for skating through church when it is just as easy to do so in our services. The bottom line is that you get out of church what you put into it, regardless of what kind of church it is.

I’ve seen both sides

I first noticed this during Lent this year. I tagged along to an Anglican service and watched the congregation read off of their Holy Eucharist program. They replied to the priest’s words like reading a script.

Watching this, I understood the honor of repeating these ancient words of the saints. However, I also saw how easy it would be to mentally disengage and say words without gaining spiritual depth.

On the flip side, I grew up at Saddleback Church — evangelical megachurch extraordinaire. I love my church, but even in high school I found myself falling into that exact routine I mentioned. If you asked me during the middle of the week what the service was about, I probably wouldn’t have been able to tell you.

We’ve all been there

Let’s talk about us. A school of Biola Christians is likely to have more active church attenders than most other places, but we all know how easy it is to get complacent.

Going to church each weekend can be draining. After a week of Bible classes, chapels and even Missions Conference, we often don’t want to be required of even more thinking or spiritual presence.

The measure you use…

Of course your brain is tired after a week at Biola. Sometimes we just feel like being lazy. And that’s fine, but remember the measure you use will be measured to you.

If you don’t want to sacrifice the easy church weekend, at least mind the next time you call out a Catholic for the very same thing.

Nothing worth having comes easy

All criticisms aside, we should all be mentally and spiritually present when we go to church. Put your brain to work no matter what kind of church you’re sitting in.

Perhaps catch hold of one significant concept or phrase. Zero in on it. Pray about it and think about it in other contexts. Even better, talk to a friend about it.

Make the commitment to that one point and live that week like you have ingested its meaning. Then, throughout the week, see how that God unfolds that one concept.

That one takeaway that God puts on your heart may be the single greatest learning moment of the service.