Softball: Back in the swing of things

Eagles win against Hope International to improve to 7-3.

Sophomore Mackenzie Magro catches a ball in the outfield during the game vs. Menlo College on Feb. 14. This past weekend, softball dropped a game to Azusa but won their double-header against Embry-Riddle. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Sophomore Mackenzie Magro catches a ball in the outfield during the game vs. Menlo College on Feb. 14. This past weekend, softball regained their momentum with a win against Hope International. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES[file photo]

After three-straight losses, the Biola softball team was able to produce a win against Hope International University on Saturday. The win puts the Eagles at 24-6 overall and 7-3 in conference play.

The Eagles have proven themselves to be a dominate force on the field this year. Biola is currently No. 2 in Golden State Athletic Conference standings with only two wins behind Concordia University. The Eagles are also 12th in the NAIA standings.

Junior pitcher Reba DePriest is currently number five in the NAIA in ERA with a posting of 0.45. DePriest also has taken the top spot in GSAC.

Biola went into the double header against Hope International looking to turn things around after the small rough patch of losing three out of the last four games.

The Eagles only scored two runs in the first game and were first on the board with a double from sophomore catcher Bria Madrid singled to bring home senior pitcher CeCe Luster.

Hope International was able to tie up the game when third baseman Lauren Ackeson ran home off second baseman Jocelyn Young's double to right field.

Luster got her third homerun of the year in the fifth inning to seal Biola’s victory 2-1 in the first game.

Biola dominated in the second game and did not allow Hope to score any runs. The Eagles’ first runs came in the third inning when Madrid decided to reach on a fielder's choice with the bases loaded to get sophomore outfielder Mackenzie Margo home.

The Eagles got two more runs in the third inning off junior second baseman Ashley Spadt’s single to open up for the opportunity for Madrid and Luster to score and put the lead at 3-0. Biola went on to score two more runs to finish the game 5-0.

The Eagles will play Arizona Christian for the second time this season on March 29, starting at 12 p.m.