Online resources address questions about sexuality

Student-run NakID Ministries launches URNot Alone Campaign.

OLIVIA BLINN

Panelists Matt Jenson, Colleen Heykoop and Matt Jones with moderator Monica Cure discuss dealing with unmet desires. The panel covered celibacy within non-heterosexual desires and the need for connection felt by all, regardless of orientation. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Anna Frost, Writer

At a university that emphasizes the importance of community, some students still feel like outsiders. The URNot Alone Campaign, launched Tuesday by student-run group NakID Ministries, aims to knock down barriers by providing resources to start conversations about sexuality — especially non-heterosexual attraction.

NakID Ministries compiled an online library of materials and links to blogs, addressing subjects ranging from homosexuality, asexuality, bullying, friendship and chastity. While NakID’s statement of faith and human sexuality explains their belief that sexual relationships should only occur within marriage between a man and a woman, they provide both sides A and B literature as educational resources.

In addition to reading material, the URNot Alone Campaign contains lists of safe Biola students, alumni, faculty and staff open to listening as students process their sexuality, said URNot Alone organizer and junior business management major Brandon Banda. Many of the students on the safe list are part of NakID Ministries. However, any interested student can contact NakID for more information.

NEW ONLINE RECOURCES

Though there are not necessarily hard-and-fast rules for people on the safe lists, Banda said those willing learn and be humble and understanding are ideal. Creating connections between people is important to the campaign’s effectiveness.

“People are the most important part. You can have people read as many things as they want, but until they have a conversation with someone, real things aren’t going to start changing,” Banda said.

A panel event featuring Torrey Honors Institute associate professor of theology Matt Jenson, director of parent relations Colleen Heykoop and blogger Matt Jones kicked off the campaign on Tuesday night. Monica Cure, an assistant professor in Torrey, moderated a discussion on unmet desires and community.

Matt Jones spoke about his experience as a gay Christian pursuing celibacy and his struggle to find community and fulfillment in his life. Support from his friends has been key in his life and others struggling with their sexuality are in need of that support as well, Jones said.

A NEW APPROACH

“Not everybody’s so lucky, and I think that’s why we’re here, because we realize the need for Biola to become a place where all the gay students here are the lucky ones. The ones who actually will have friends that will be with them,” Jones said.

Heykoop spoke from her experience with her sister who came out to her decades ago. Additionally, she said she has watched alumni turn away from their faith after Biola because they did not have a safe place to talk about their struggles.

“In my mind, it’s a shame and it shouldn’t happen in the Christian church,” Heykoop said.

However, significant change will not happen at Biola until students change how they approach the subject of sexuality and those struggling with non-heterosexual desires, Banda said.

“Go meet someone who … experiences that for themselves. Whether that be on the safe list, or whether that be just talking about it in a way where people around you would feel safe and be able to approach you,“ Banda said.