Men’s and women’s tennis drop matches

Women’s tennis drops two matches; Men’s lose to Sewanee

OLIVIA BLINN

Junior Kathryn Ashford returns the ball in her doubles match with partner Susan Carmichael to pick up a win against University of Southwest last season. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Sophomore Kathryn Ashford returns the ball in her doubles match with partner Susan Carmichael to pick up a win against University of Southwest on March 7. Both the women and men's teams lost this past weekend. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES [file photo]

The men and women’s tennis teams suffered more disappointing losses against Sewanee College and McPherson College. The women’s record now stands at 3-11 while the men are at 5-8.

Sophomore Olivia Koelsch was the only one on the women’s team that won her match against Sewanee. In Koelsch’s first singles match of the year, Koelsch beat sophomore Mariah Smith 6-2, 6-2 to get the women’s only win of the day. The women finished the day with a 1-8 loss.

“It was a tough loss because we didn’t really get to play them since we had most of our team out,” Koelsch said. “Luckily everyone pulled together and filled in the spots needed but it was one of the difficulties in the match.”

The women’s next match against McPherson also ended in a loss. The Eagles were only able to win three of their matches to go down 3-6 against the Bulldogs.

The men were not able to do much better against Sewanee and were able to produce only one win more than the women, 2-7.

Junior Brandon Chang won his singles match against freshman Scott Gallimore 5-7 and 6-3. Doubles partners sophomore Lucas Lee and freshman Luke Mountain also took home a win for Biola 8-6.

The women will take on Mills College in Oakland, Calif. on Saturday starting at 10 a.m. while the men host Hope International University on March 25 starting at 3:30 p.m.