AS Senate Rundown: Mar. 6, 2014

The senate meeting this week had two proposals to reconstruct the AS departments.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

This week’s Associated Students senate meeting consisted of two proposals for restructuring AS departments.

Proposals

The first proposal was from Amanda Clarke, AS social events coordinator, for a restructuring of the social events department. Her proposal included decreasing the payroll hours for staff members, adding a coordinator’s assistant position and eliminating the current volunteer position. Clarke said her staff members do not work all of their allotted hours every week, and the volunteer position is not as necessary as in previous years. The current department budget of $5,664 would decrease by $40 to $5,624.

Next, Richie Gowin, vice president of marketing and communications, proposed for a restructuring of the marketing and communications branch within AS. This restructure would include creating a communications coordinator position and renaming the marketing and communicating coordinator to marketing coordinator. The allocated budget for this new position would be $1,700 per semester. The addition of this coordinator’s position would help fulfill the responsibilities of the VP of marketing and communications.

Announcements

The next open proposal day, when students outside of AS can propose to the senate, will be on March 20. Voting on these proposals will occur in two weeks.