Women’s basketball: Season ends at Hope International

Eagles end season with overall record of 12-18.

Shonnell Hoyt, a freshman on the women’s basketball team, takes control of the court during their final home game against Arizona Christian. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Shonnell Hoyt, a freshman on the women's basketball team, takes control of the court during their final home game against Arizona Christian. Despite the win at home, Hope International ended on top during the playoff game in Fullerton on Mar. 5. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

In their first and last playoff game of the 2013-2014 season, the women’s basketball team suffered a disappointing loss to Hope International University 77-65.

Biola came out forcefully and put up a five-point lead against the Royals in the first four minutes of the game. However, the lead was short-lived as Hope International forward Andrina Rendon drained multiple shots. The Royals took the lead in the ninth minute at 15-12.

Biola tied it up at 22 with just under eight minutes left to play.  However, the Royals surged ahead of the Eagles with help from Rendon’s shooting to end the first half 43-34.

The Royals capitalized on their quick offense and leapt ahead of the Eagles 52-40 six minutes into the second half.

Biola started chipping away at Hope International’s lead and tied the game at 52 with 11 minutes left to play. However, the hopes of taking back the game shrank as the Royals gained a seven-point advantage due to the trouble Biola had taking care of the ball and keeping their fouls in check.

Shots were not falling for Biola as the time on the clock dwindled. The Eagles could not follow through on the shots necessary to win and fell to the Royals 77-65.

The Eagles had turned things around mid-season after starting out 0-10. Biola went 7-7 in conference play and pushed their overall season to 12-17.

“Once we get everyone on the same page that’s when we play our best basketball,” junior forward Chelsea Hill said.

Senior forward Adijat Adams had a phenomenal season. Adams was the seventh women’s basketball player in Biola’s history to score over 1,500 points in her collegiate career.

The Eagles needed to win the GSAC tournament in order to make it to the national tournament. The season will end with the overall record at 12-18.