Six ways to prepare for the real world

Stefan Carlson equips himself for the uncertainty of post-graduate life.

Opinions staff writer for 2013-14, Stefan Carlson. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Stefan Carlson, Writer

In less than three months I am going to graduate. It will be my first time not being a student since I was five years old. It’s exciting, but it’s also a bit daunting. How do you prepare for the uncertainty of post-grad life? I’ve been asking this question for a while now and I wanted to share the wisdom I’ve collected so far.

1. Identity

Who am I? There are many voices that attempt to answer this question for us and not all of them are telling the truth.  Those voices say, “You are what you buy,” “You are the grades you make,” “You are the job you work” — these are all lies. The truth must overcome all the false voices we have believed and sink down deep into our hearts. We can discover the way God has uniquely designed us as we explore our stories, our pain, our gifts and our dreams in the context of Scripture, prayer and community.

2. Passion

This word gets tossed around too nonchalantly. Passion is not excitement about a fun idea. It is a depth of devotion that is demonstrated by your willingness to suffer. What are you willing to suffer for? Your passion will help you navigate your most significant life choices and persevere through the most difficult circumstances. I pray that your supreme passion would be for God himself and that all other passions emerge from your relationship with him. The world needs more passionate people.

3.  Find a friend

There were several ways in which ancient Celtic monastic communities “prepared people to live with depth, compassion and power in mission,” according to George Hunter. One of these was the “soul friend… a peer with whom you were voluntarily vulnerable and accountable; to whom you made confession…who both supported and challenged you”. We need to take a lesson from St. Patrick and his crew. Do you have a soul friend?

4. Find a mentor

While spiritual friends are important, their blind spots may be similar to ours. This is why having a mentor is so valuable. Having a mentor is like rock climbing behind a buddy who can look back and tell you which footholds are most secure with the confidence of personal experience.

5. Go to church

Find a church. Get to know the people. Join a small group or a serve team, and stay committed to them. I have received this piece of advice more than any other when it comes to making a successful transition out of school. God gives us community so we don’t have to face the uncertainty of life alone.

6. Visit the Career Center

On a more practical note, I would highly recommend you stop by the Career Center at least once before graduation rolls around. Career counselors help you to assess your personality and strengths, discern potential career paths, craft a resume, prepare for an interview and find internships.

There is no telling what life after college will throw at us. Rather than concerning yourself with what may or may not happen, think about the person you are becoming right now. Make the decisions and form the habits that will shape you into a person who embraces life’s challenges and thrives.