Four more for nationals

Track and field sends four more to nationals.

Nikki Hadley, Writer

Biola track and field sends four more off to nationals after a successful weekend.

Senior Danny Ledesma, junior Kevin Horchler, and sophomores Shane Brinson and James McCahon worked as a perfect team in the distance medley relay at the Rossi Relays in Claremont on Saturday, Feb. 22 to qualify.

The fearsome foursome took fourth place with a time of 10:18.55, which is just about 14 seconds behind Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, who placed first. This is the third season in a row that the Eagles’ distance medley team has qualified for nationals.

“My teammates and I felt confident. We knew that the hard work had been put in,” Ledesma said. “All we needed to do was leave it all on the track on Saturday.”

On top of his distance medley qualification, Ledesma will also be heading to nationals for the men’s 3,000 meter run, placing sixth with a time of 8:39.68. He also qualified for the 5,000 meter run earlier this season, finishing in 15:07.63. This is Ledesma’s third consecutive year as part of the Eagles’ national distance medley team. He also went to the national meet for cross-country for his third consecutive year during the fall season.

“The fact that this is my last season is keeping me motivated to give it everything I have. Qualifying to nationals was only the first step towards my goal; now I have to train harder with the team and prepare mentally to compete against the best,” Ledesma said.

It was the last chance the Eagles had to get any of their student athletes qualified for the NAIA outdoor National Championships and they brought limited athletes to the meet.

“I think being confident helps with being competitive,” Ledesma explained. “Another important factor is trust Coach’s plan and knowing he knows what it takes to perform at the high level.”

The Eagles head out to La Verne on Saturday, March 1. The national qualifiers get ready to compete in Ohio March 6-8.