Tennis turmoil trend continues

Men’s tennis experience a win and a loss while girls take two losses.

Freshman Luke Mountain powers the ball over the net to his Cal Tech opponent last Saturday. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Ashleigh Fox, Writer

Freshman Luke Mountain powers the ball over the net to his Cal Tech opponent earlier this season. The men's team lost against Fresno Pacific on Feb. 20 and beat Hope International on Tuesday. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES [file photo]

The losing streak continued in tennis as both men’s and women’s teams suffered losses this past weekend.

Starting on Feb. 20, the men won only one match against Fresno Pacific University, who overpowered Biola by seven matches, 8-1.

The one match win came from doubles partners junior Tayven Townsend and senior Isaiah Pekary. After playing together for the third time this season, they finally came out with their first win as a pair. Apart, though, everyone fell short to Fresno’s men, with no Eagle taking more than 4 sets throughout the singles play.

On Feb. 25, though, the men’s team pulled out a win, beating Hope International 6-3. Senior Greg Cobian, cheered his team on today and noticed the difference in his teammates.

“All of the guys played amazing and took it to them. We got the job done today,” Cobian said.

The win against Hope International brought the team to a record of  3-4 and they look to even out their record on Saturday at Concordia University.

Brigham Young University of Hawaii went away with a 9-0 sweep after visiting the Eagles on their home court on Feb. 22. Ranked No. 2 in the NCAA Division II women’s tennis rankings, the Biola women’s tennis team went into the day prepared for the tough contenders.

Sophomore Susan Carmichael was the only player on Biola’s team to win at least one game in both of her matches, losing 6-1 twice to Alexandra Ulbrichtov of BYU Hawaii.

The men’s final score was swapped for the women’s tennis team at Hope International, ending the day with a 3-6 loss.

Sophomore Kathryn Ashford led the team, winning both her singles match and her doubles with sophomore Susan Carmichael.

“In our doubles match today, Cat and I capitalized on their weaknesses and made every shot count,” Susan said.

The women’s team looks to secure a win this weekend at Concordia University.