Eagles shine in second-half upset

Eagles come back against Hope International University in second half.

Junior guard Desiree Robinson sprints past the defense during the blackout game against Master’s College on Feb. 15. Women’s basketball pulled out two wins against Master’s and Hope International. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Junior guard Desiree Robinson sprints past the defense during the blackout game against Master's College on Feb. 15. Women's basketball pulled out two wins against Master's and Hope International. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES [file photo]

After finishing the first half 13 points behind the Hope International University Royals, the women’s basketball team stormed an intense comeback in the second half to win 72-69. The win puts the Eagles’ record at 11-16 overall and 6-5 in conference play.

The Royals got off to a quick start in the first half of the game. Hope International dominated in their shooting, hitting 70 percent from beyond the arc with Biola struggling, shooting with only 25 percent.

Junior forward Chelsea Hill and sophomore guard Aubree Mittel were Biola’s leading scorers with eight points each. Guard Brittany Bauman for the Royals totaled 19 points in the first half alone.

Things did not look promising for the Eagles when they ended the first half trailing behind the Royals 43-30.

The second half was a completely different story for the Eagles. Biola took control of the game and improved their shooting to score the 42 points needed to take the lead within the second half of the game.

Hope International’s shooting percentage dropped dramatically, going from a 70 percent from the three-point line to zero. Biola capitalized on that and improved their field percentage to 40 percent.

Senior center Adijat Adams scored 18 points in the second half alone. Hill was another leading scorer in the second half with 12 points.

Biola rallied to take the lead away from Hope International and win the game 72-69.

The Eagles will play Concordia University in a Golden State Athletic Conference game on Feb. 22 at 5 p.m.