Softball has eyes on a big prize

Softball loses to Azusa but win double-header against Embry-Riddle.

Sophomore Mackenzie Magro catches a ball in the outfield during the game vs. Menlo College on Feb. 14. This past weekend, softball dropped a game to Azusa but won their double-header against Embry-Riddle. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Eagles’ softball started their season off with a bang. A seven-game win streak put them at the best start of the season since 2007. Biola also kept their first four opponents from scoring one run or more in each game that they played. The Eagles are currently 9-2 overall and have high hopes for the rest of the season.

After a solid run to the first of the season, Biola suffered their first two losses to Azusa Pacific University. Although their undefeated streak has ended, the Eagles are choosing to take the loss as a learning experience.

“I think it was good to have a game where we can find our mistakes and be able to work on them,” sophomore third baseman Heather Hall said. “It was a very competitive game and it’s good to have that kind of mindset at the beginning of the season.”

Biola came back from the disappointing losses at Azusa to win a double-header against Embry-Riddle on Tuesday. The Eagles attribute their early season success to their strong bond as a team. Team unity has been a main focus for head coach Lorie Coleman.

“Our coach as definitely established that we are playing for God and it is him who has given us these talents,” freshman outfielder Kasey Hormel said. “She has really stepped in and making sure that we all love one another and pulling people aside if they have issues so that they can be resolved.”

The Eagles want to remain grounded in how they play and not let the early success get to their heads.

“It’s difficult but I think it helps that we all stick together,” Hormel said. “We don’t want to be in a mindset of ‘we can’t lose’ but more in a mindset of ‘we don’t want to lose.’”

The Eagles’ have one end goal in mind, to get into the NAIA championship. To accomplish this goal they must win a total of 35 games during the season. Although they still have a long way to go, the team feels confident in the possibility of achieving their goal.

“We want to keep doing what we are doing and keep playing for each other,” Hormel said. “Also focusing on the minor details and fixing the things we need to work on since we aren’t perfect.”

The Eagles look to improve their record in their double-header against California State San-Marcos on Saturday starting at 1 p.m.