Students adjusting to new bicycle lanes

New bicycle lanes painted over interterm are an attempt to help with traffic flow on campus.

Zion_Studios

A student walks directly across the new bike lanes that run through the main part of campus. The lanes that were painted over interterm are an attempt to help with traffic flow on campus. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

The new bicycle lanes painted on Sutherland Way over interterm are an attempt by Facilities Services to help with the flow of traffic between pedestrians and bikers.

University Services suggested the addition of the bike lanes, and there was also a long time discussion within Facilities Services, said Brian Phillips, director of Facility Services.

Bicycle riding through campus was previously prohibited due to safety concerns for pedestrians, Phillips said. However, it was difficult to enforce the prohibition and the safest solution was to define an area for bike riders.

Strategic placing

Some students question the placement of the bicycle lanes.

Senior business major Mike Arthur finds it strange that the lanes were placed directly in the middle of the walkway.

Some feel the designated lanes would be more effective if they were placed differently.

“It should be off to the side, if anything,” said David Smith, senior engineering major.

Phillips explained that the bicycle lanes were placed in the middle of the walkway to mimic the traffic flow of a city street, with vehicles in the center and pedestrians on the sidewalks. Having the lanes marked in the middle allows for bicycles to act as the vehicles and pedestrian traffic to flow on either side.

“There’s a lot of thought and consideration put into how to do this and what would make sense,” Phillips said, “We thought this would be the best way.”

Pedestrians and bikers equal

Students who ride their bicycles to campus are excited that the designated lanes finally allow them to have their own space.

“Having the space makes me feel like both of us are equal,” said Karis Ostby, senior intercultural studies major.

For others, the bicycle lanes come as an answer to a long-standing concern.

“I think they’re great because I was always annoyed that I didn’t get to ride my bike,” said Alexandra Sciarra, senior kinesiology major.

Adjustment period

Although the new lanes have been welcomed by some students, they seem to be overlooked by most. An issue that Facilities Services is facing is getting pedestrians to abide by the lanes, Phillips said.

Some students believe that it will take time for people to recognize the change.

“With anything new it just takes time to be integrated,” said Joseph Munoz, sophomore intercultural studies major.

There are still improvements to be made, Phillips said. An impending addition is to designate the walkway in front of the library as an area that bikers will have to walk their bicycles, Phillips said.

Facilities Services will continue to assess what further improvements can be made to the new designated bicycle lanes.

“Right now we’re in an adjustment period, where we need to let people get used to them and understand how they work,” Phillips said.