Eagles break records at Westmont Sunshine Open

Biola track and field broke three school records on Feb. 7.

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Biola’s track and field team broke three school records in the Westmont Sunshine Open on Feb. 7.

The women’s team found success in many of their events and nabbed multiple qualifying times for the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Indoor Championship meet.

Sophomore middle distance runner Anika Gasner ran a 2:57.20 in the 1,000-meter race to break Biola’s current school record. Gasner’s time, along with fellow teammates sophomore distance runner Kellian Hunt, senior middle distance runner Alexandra Sciarra and freshman distance runner Lyndee Dawson, qualified for the Indoor Nationals meet.

Junior distance runner Carrie Soholt also set a record for Biola in the half-marathon and qualified with a time of 1:23.05.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay team qualified for Indoor Nationals with a third place finish at 4:02.13.

For the men’s side, senior multi-eventer Marc Opena broke his own record for the 60-meter hurdles at 8.46. This marks the third time in a row that Opena has won his race.

Junior sprinter and jumper Jordan Smith took home first in the high jump and second in both the long jump and the 200-meter race.

The Eagles’ next race will be at the Concordia Last Chance Indoor Qualifier on Feb. 15.