AS Senate Rundown: Feb. 6, 2014

This week’s Senate meeting featured proposals on dissolving and creating departments within AS.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

This week’s Associated Students’ Senate meeting heard proposals about dissolving departments within AS and adding a brand-new department.

Proposals

The first proposal was the dissolution of the Religious Lectures department within AS. The department overlaps with other departments on campus that organize the same types of events for students. The disbandment of Religious Lectures would release $14,312 back into the AS budget. The proposal also includes budgeting $3,000 for a one-time event.

The second proposal that the senate heard was the dissolution of the Community Action department within AS. Since other departments on campus provide similar services, the Community Action department is not needed. The dissolution of this department would release $8,540 back in the AS budget. The proposal also includes budgeting $3,000 for a one-time event.

The third proposal presented to the senate was the creation of a new department within AS. The Outdoor Excursions department would organize outdoor recreational events for students, such as hiking, camping and surfing. The proposed budget for this department would be $8,562, which would pay for one coordinator and one staff member and allow for one event per month.

Voting will occur at next week’s meeting.

Voting

The senate voted on Amanda Clarke’s proposal for funds to promote the spring banquet in the amount of $200. The senate voted unanimously in favor of passing the proposal.

Announcements

The first open proposal day, when students outside of AS can propose to the senate, will be Feb. 20.