Men’s baseball comes back to win after 7-0 deficit

Baseball team finds momentum to win against Bethesda.

Junior Garrett Picha pitches to a player up to bat for Westmont on Jan. 31. The men won two out of the three games played last weekend. | Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Junior Garrett Picha pitches to a player up to bat for Westmont on Jan. 31. The Eagle's record is 4-7 after today's win against Bethesda. | Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES [file photo]

After finding themselves down 7-0 at the top of the third inning against Bethesda University, the Eagles came from behind and beat the Flames 10-8. The win puts the Eagles’ record at 4-7.

The game did not start out smoothly for Biola, although the Eagles had a chance to score in the bottom of the first when senior outfielder Luke Klocek sent the ball far into left field. Sophomore catcher Sam Thorne advanced to third off of Klocke’s double and made the decision to round third and head home. Thorne was thrown out at the plate, ending a scoreless first inning.

Catcher Bobby Moreno earned Bethesda’s first run off of infielder Justin Soto’s single. The Flames put an even greater distance between them and Biola with a two run play. Outfielder Ronald McCrea doubled to left field and Soto and infielder Jayson Casillas ran home to put the game at 3-0.

Bethesda delivered another big play in the top of the third. A double from infielder Christian Caprio sent both infielder Mario Gonzalez and Moreno home to put the lead at 5-0. Immediately afterward, Bethesda scored yet another run off a single that sent Caprillo home to put the Flames at 6-0.

The Flames added one more run in the inning when Soto ran home on a passed ball. The Eagles went into the bottom of the third inning down 7-0.

The turning point

The Eagles found their momentum in the bottom of the fourth and were able to get four quick runs.

“We knew that we were going to have to be really active on defense, and we knew that we needed to make a lot of plays,” junior centerfielder Rob Groshell said. “We were expecting a high scoring game.”

The Flames scored their final run in the top of the fifth. Pitcher Eric Ethridge sent the ball out to midfield and provided the opportunity for Casillas to run home.

The Eagles were within reach of tying up the score when junior infielder Tanner Swire sent the ball out to center field to advance Rodriguez to third and Annuziata home in the bottom of the sixth. Later in the bottom of the seventh Klocek and Castelli scored to put Biola at 7-8.

In the bottom of the eighth, freshman outfielder Daniel Rassmussen placed himself into scoring position when he advanced from first to second base on a wild pitch and then to third after Bethesda pitcher Joshua Perez balked. Rassmussen scored when senior infielder David McNeill sent the ball to right field.

The Eagles took their first lead of the game when Castelli scored on a passed ball to put them at 9-8. Then with a single to centerfield from Rodriguez, McNeill was able to score and to advance the Eagles’ lead 10-8.

“We never give up,” Groshell said. “We have a lot of heart, and it’s great to go into the Arizona series on a high note.”

Biola will travel to Arizona to compete in a Golden State Athletic Conference doubleheader against Arizona Christian University. Arizona has one win so far in their season and a total of five losses. If the Eagles win they will advance their GSAC record 4-4.

The Eagles’ first game in Arizona will start on Friday at 2 p.m.