New dean takes charge of the library

The library hired a new dean over interterm after a two year search.

Melanie Kim/THE OFFICE

Dayna Drum, Writer

Gregg Geary now serves as the library dean. The library has been without a dean for two years. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

After two years without a dean, the Library acquired new leadership over interterm that aims to put student needs first. Gregg Geary began his position at the Library on Jan. 21, said Kim Knight, library office manager. The previous dean, Rodney Vliet, retired in the summer of 2011 and the Library has not had a dean since.

Before becoming dean of Biola’s Library, Geary was head of the library at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa. Geary has 30 years of experience in library administration in both public and private universities.

Goals for the library

One of Geary’s main goals as the new dean of the Library is to make the Library a focal point on campus.

“We want to be the jewel and the crown on the campus,” Geary said.

To achieve this goal, the Library will attempt to grow its resources and make students and faculty the primary concern, Geary said.

“I’m very patron-oriented,” Geary said.

Biola’s smaller size allows for the Library to be flexible and entrepreneurial, Geary said. Not only does Geary hope to better the Library’s reputation on campus, but outside of Biola’s borders as well. 

Geary said an asset of the Library's leadership is its responsiveness to the Library's role in the digital revolution.  

Anticipation of change

The Library staff is receiving the new leadership with enthusiasm, and is looking forward to seeing the results of his vision, Knight said.

“I see very positive things happening in the future,” Knight said.

In light of common student complaints about the Library, including lack of study space and sparse book selection, Geary’s goals coincide with student concerns.

To address the issue of space, the Library will begin consolidating and digitizing resources to provide more floor space for patrons, Geary said.

Geary also plans to initiate a close partnership with faculty to pair collections with class curriculums. This will ensure that the collections the Library has are utilized to their potential, Geary said.

Another issue that students face is the hours of operation of the Library, said Madeline Zae, junior human biology major.

Geary plans to execute surveys to evaluate which hours will fit student needs, and potentially begin a pilot program to determine if students will utilize extended hours. 

Geary said he believes the Library is an intellectual wonderland and that students should be excited about the impending improvements. Geary said he is aware of the cost of attending Biola and considers the amount that students pay in his vision for an improved library.

“I think it is our … duty to provide you with high value resources for your educational dollar,” Geary said.