Graduation ticketing system received with mixed feelings

Graduates are limited in the number of guests they can bring to winter commencement this year.

OLIVIA BLINN

Students prepare to walk up to the stage during fall commencement. In order to improve the retention rate, Biola is working on implementing better academic planning for students. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

Students prepare to walk up to the stage during fall commencement. Graduates are limited in the number of guests they can bring to winter commencement this year. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Graduating seniors in this year’s winter commencement ceremony have mixed opinions about the implementation of a ticketing system. Each graduate received ten tickets for family or friends to obtain seating in Chase Gymnasium, said Hilary Larkins, interim manager of university events. This is not the first time that a system like this has been used, but it has been an extensive amount of time since then, Larkins said.

The overflow issues at last year's winter commencement ceremony are the reason for returning to the ticketing system, Larkins said.

"This way we are hoping to give grads the opportunity to choose who is in their ceremony," Larkins said.

If a graduate uses less than their allotted ten tickets, then they are allowed to give their extras to another graduate, Larkins said.

Crowell Auditorium, Mayers Auditorium and a large screen outside the gym will serve as satellite locations for the ceremony, Larkins said. The system may not continue in future years because it largely depends on the size of the class and the expected attendance, Larkins said.

Mixed student opinion

Not all graduates are pleased with the system because of the limitations it has placed on their guest list.

“I really don't think it's okay to put a limit on how many people you bring to your graduation ceremony, especially considering the amount of money we pay to go to Biola,” said Samantha Young, senior kinesiology major. 

Young is from the Caribbean and was not able to accommodate all of her family that is coming to the ceremony.

Another problem that the system has presented is the logistics of getting the tickets from the graduates to their family members. For Adrienne Nunley, senior journalism major, her family will be arriving from out of state the day of the ceremony, and it will be difficult to physically get them to her family on such a busy day. Regardless of the potential logistical issues, Nunley is trying to remain neutral about the system.

“I can see the logic behind it, and maybe it will end up going a lot smoother than a lot of us are expecting,” Nunley said.

Some students have a very positive outlook on the ticketing system because it guarantees a place for their family in the ceremony.

“I personally like the system this year because it allows my family members to do what they came to do, watch me graduate,” said Nolan Yoshimura, senior kinesiology major.

The tickets will also ensure that graduates are inviting a reasonable number of people, Yoshimura said.