Women’s basketball falls to five-straight losses

Struggling defense led to back-to-back losses for the weekend.

Menlo College’s defense puts pressure on junior forward Elizabeth Munger during the game on November 9. The women’s basketball team trailed Menlo by two points at the final buzzer, scoring 62 to their 64 points. | Elizabeth Kay/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Junior forward Chelsea Hill battles against the defense during last Friday's game. The women's basketball team lost to California Maritime Academy, making that the fourth consecutive loss of the season. | Elizabeth Kay/THE CHIMES

The women’s basketball team lost back-to-back games this weekend on Friday night against California Maritime Academy and on Saturday against the Menlo College. Although the Eagles put up a good fight in both games, Biola was not able to produce the defensive strength they needed against two tough opponents.

Still looking for their first win of the season, women’s basketball took on California Maritime Academy on Friday night. Despite a 13-point lead at halftime, the Eagles were unable to keep pace throughout the game and fell in the final few seconds.

Junior forward Chelsea Hill led all scorers with 20 points, going 6-13 from the field and also picking up four rebounds and three blocks. Senior center Adijat Adams recorded her third double-double in four games, scoring 16 points with 16 boards.

The Eagles held a commanding lead heading into the locker room at 32-19, but the Keelhaulers weren’t done yet. Cal Maritime proceeded to go on a 13-3 run to pull within striking distance and keep the game close.

CMA took their first lead of the second half with 4:20 to play in the game. After exchanging one point leads for the next few minutes, the Keelhaulers jumped out to a three-point lead when Javier Brantley hit a three with 39 seconds remaining. The Eagles attempted to foul and catch their opponents off-guard, but CMA went 4-4 from the charity strip down the stretch.

Adams attempted a game-tying three as time expired, but it missed just barely as Biola fell to Cal Maritime 65-62.

The Keelhaulers had phenomenal production coming from their subs, as the bench tallied 24 points in the win. The Eagles committed a handful of turnovers, many of which were converted into points by Cal Maritime.

Menlo College's defense puts pressure on junior forward Elizabeth Munger during the game on Nov. 9. The women's basketball team trailed Menlo by two points at the final buzzer, scoring 62 to their 64 points. | Elizabeth Kay/THE CHIMES

Saturday’s matchup against Menlo College proved to be a close game as well, but fatigue set in late as the Eagles were defeated by another close score of 64-62.

Junior forward Elizabeth Munger led the Eagles in points for the game. Munger put 18 points on the board and proved to be an asset down low with 12 rebounds.

Although Biola was the first to put points on the board with a layup from Adams, the Eagles quickly fell behind due to multiple turnovers that lead to the Oaks scoring. By the end of the game, Biola had given Menlo 20 of their points due to turnovers.

“I think the first half we started out intense but we could’ve done a little better,” freshman forward Kyla Dinkel said. “In the second half we did more of the little things better.”

In the second half the Eagles came out looking to steal the lead from Melo. The second half was a more physical game, and both sides were sent to the free throw line. Munger was a perfect 10 for 10 in free throws.

In the final second Biola was down two points after sophomore forward Imani Joseph sunk her free-throws. Munger was able to get the rebound from a missed jumper and send the ball out to freshman guard Shonnell Hoyt. Hoyt attempted a last second three pointer that bounced off the rim.

The Eagles are still looking for their first win of the season. They take on Westminster College next Friday at 3 p.m.