Swim misses the mark against APU

The women’s swim team comes up short against Azusa.

Junior Christine Tixier glides through the water with the breaststroke during the dual meet against Azusa Pacific on November 2. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Junior Christine Tixier glides through the water with the breaststroke during the dual meet against Azusa Pacific on Nov. 2. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

The women’s swim team competed in a dual meet against Azusa Pacific University on Saturday. The Eagles were able to stay close in score to Azusa throughout the meet but were ultimately defeated in the freestyle relay event. APU finished the meet on top 113-106.

Despite the loss, the Eagles had a few bright spots throughout the meet. Four swimmers qualified for the national meet in March 2014 with their times.

“I knew that it would be a tough meet. We are obviously rivals, and so it’s also going to be an exciting, nail-biting meet,” junior Megan Nerud said. “I think that we held it together well and that we put up a really good fight.”

Nerud qualified for nationals after finishing first in both the 400 individual freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke. Nerud also qualified in the individual medley with a time of 4:53.57. Sophomore Abby Blake qualified for nationals in the 500-yard freestyle and also won the 1,000-yard freestyle.

“I try to swim relaxed and not stressed,” Nerud said. “Things go so much better when you are excited instead of just being a bundle of nerves.”

Other swimmers that made the qualifying times were juniors Kelly Arth and Christine Tixier. Arth qualified in the 200 freestyle with a time of 2:02.37 and Tixier qualified in the 100-yard butterfly and the 100 breaststroke.

The Eagles and Cougars were tied at 102 going into the last freestyle relay. The Cougars’ overall time of 1:42.49 gave them 11 points — and the victory over Biola.

Biola is trying to look past the disappointing loss and focus on upcoming meets. Currently, they are preparing for the University of Redlands Bulldog Pentathlon.

“Overall we want to place well and work hard,” freshman Haley Baker said. “Not everyone is used to doing all four strokes, so we all have to look at different skill sets.”

The Pentathlon meet is scheduled at 9 a.m. on Nov. 9 in Redlands, Calif.