Women’s basketball drops third-straight game

A loss to Azusa Pacific a result of ball handling and defensive struggles.

Sophomore forward Imani Joseph tears through three California Baptist University defenders during the scrimmage on October 26. This season preview game ended with Biola losing to CBU 69 to 49. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Sophomore forward Imani Joseph tears through three California Baptist University defenders during the scrimmage on October 26. This season preview game ended with Biola losing to CBU 69 to 49. Women's basketball continues to struggle through the beginning of the season, also losing to Azusa Pacific this week. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Women’s basketball showed signs of life on Tuesday night, but ultimately, Azusa Pacific University proved to be too much, as the Eagles dropped their third game of 2013 to the Cougars, 90-70.

Senior center Adijat Adams led the way for the Eagles. Adams picked up her second double-double of the year, going 4-7 from the field with 13 points and 12 rebounds. Junior forward Chelsea Hill added 14 points, while sophomore forward Imani Joseph and junior forward Elizabeth Munger both had 10.

Defense appeared to be a constant struggle for the Eagles, as they were unable to contain the dynamic duo behind the Cougars’ offense, junior forward Sendy Valles and sophomore forward Kelly Hardeman. Valles tallied a game-high 27 points, while Hardeman scored 21 with eight rebounds.

The Eagles took their first lead of the game with five minutes to go in the first half. APU retook the lead not two minutes later and never let go. Despite only being down five at halftime, the Cougars went on a 14-point run to open the second half, and they ultimately rolled to a 90-70 victory.

Biola, who struggled to hold onto the ball the entire night, gave up 29 points off turnovers and committed 23 turnovers in comparison to the Cougars’ 12.

A 0-3 start is definitely not the way this team wanted to start the 2013 campaign. The Eagles will look to pick up their first win of the season Friday night in their home opener against California Maritime Academy.