Loss to Vanguard ends season for women’s soccer

Women’s soccer season comes to a close.

Senior midfielder Victoria Dalla Zanna battles for the ball during the blowout game against Antelope Valley College on September 14. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Senior midfielder Victoria Dalla Zanna battles for the ball during the blowout game against Antelope Valley College on September 14. Women's soccer ended their season with a record of 9-9-1 after losing to Vanguard on November 5. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Women’s soccer saw their season come to an end this afternoon as the Eagles were defeated 1-0 in Costa Mesa at the hands of Vanguard University.

After limping into the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament, Biola came out strong and appeared to be in the hunt for an upset. The Eagles tallied six shots in the first 20 minutes and only allowed the Lions to take six shots in the entire first half.

Vanguard came out of the gate in the second half and scored the only goal of the game. In the 51st minute, freshman midfielder Ashley McCutcheon headed in a corner right over Biola keeper Briana Williams. The Eagles were unable to take advantage of opportunities following the goal, and didn’t register a shot after the 80th minute as Vanguard’s lead held until the final whistle.

The Lions have had the Eagles’ number as of late. In 2012, Vanguard defeated Biola in the GSAC championship game and kept the Eagles from snagging their first NAIA berth.

Women’s soccer finishes their season with a 9-9-1 overall record.