Solution to crosswalk congestion in the works

Campus Safety discusses solutions to the problem of congested crosswalks near Biola’s entrance.

In hopes to aid in the traffic jams, both vehicular and pedestrian, Campus Safety officer Archie Mendoza serves as crossing guard to control the build-up after chapel on Monday and Wednesdays. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Anna Frost, Writer

The awkward staredown between impatient drivers and late-to-class pedestrians at the crosswalk between Rose of Sharon Chapel and McNally campus is hopefully coming to an end. A Campus Safety officer will direct traffic at the congested crosswalk for the next two weeks as a result of complaints from both pedestrians and drivers. After the trial period, facilities management and Campus Safety will work towards finding a solution to the overcrowding caused by heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic near the Biola Avenue entrance.

OFFICER DIRECTS CROSSWALK TRAFFIC 

Students using the three crosswalks that intersect University Avenue to the Business Building, Lot D and the McNally campus regularly cause cars to back-up all the way to the main street, said Campus Safety Chief John Ojeisekhoba. The problem is especially prevalent on Mondays and Wednesdays between 10:20 and 10:40 a.m. as students go to their classes after chapel in Chase Gymnasium ends.

Students walking towards classrooms at McNally acknowledged that heavy traffic is an issue at the crosswalk but had mixed opinions on whether the officer directing traffic was helpful. Some students walking across said that since pedestrians have the right of way, they do not feel that the congestion affects them.

“I feel like sometimes it’s a little awkward crossing, but I don’t really feel like it makes a difference. I feel like we can get across perfectly fine,” junior art major John Griffith said.

However, senior communications major Mackenzie Sands said that she felt that the officer directing traffic made it easier because she didn’t have to wave at cars and try and figure out when to cross. Other students agreed that the presence of Campus Safety made the crosswalk less hectic.

“It’s just normally pretty crazy. People are stopping and starting, and they don’t really know when cars should go and when people should walk,” said Katie Roberts, undeclared freshman.

SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEM

Keeping an officer or cadet to direct traffic at the crosswalk permanently does not seem like a sustainable option, Ojeisekhoba said. However, Ojeisekhoba is discussing several options to keep the crosswalks safe and alleviate traffic with senior director of facilities management Brian Phillips and vice president of university services Greg Balsano.

The areas of focus are the three crosswalks closest to Biola’s entrance, Phillips said. One solution being discussed is the unification of the Rose of Sharon and Lot D crosswalks.

Those areas also need more light, Phillips said. Facilities management is looking into lining all three crosswalks with flashing LED crosswalk lights so that the walkways are more visible to drivers at night. Outfitting the crosswalks would cost approximately $30,000 each, Phillips said.