EagleFest debut paves way for Midnight Madness

A new event sponsored by Associated Students promotes fall athletics.

Karin Jensen

The famed Biola eagle makes an appearance at Eagle Fest, a pep rally to celebrate the fall sports. Students who attended this first-time event received free “Red Sea” shirts, pom-poms and popcorn. | Karin Jensen/THE CHIMES

Augusta McDonnell, Writer

The famed Biola eagle makes an appearance at Eagle Fest, a pep rally to celebrate the fall sports. Students who attended this first-time event received free "Red Sea" shirts, pom-poms and popcorn. | Karin Jensen/THE CHIMES

Brightly colored chalk writing etched across the asphalt in front of the Fireplace Pavilion announced the 2013 Eagle Fest event sponsored by Associated Students. The mid-fall sports pep rally began at 9 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23 outside of the Student Union Building and ended a little before 10 p.m. 

EVENTS PROMOTING SCHOOL SPIRIT

Last year, Associated Students sponsored a tailgate event that involved the Caf moving outside for an evening to bring teams and their supporters together. This year, they wanted to try something new, explained senior business major and AS spirit events coordinator Haley Nickel, who organized the event.

Nickel hoped the event would serve to encourage teams at this time of year who are either going into playoffs or beginning their seasons.

“It was basically a hula hoop competition, then they invited people to get shirts, and then it was pretty much just a mixer-hangout,” explained Kona Olson, a junior member of the baseball team. “I also won a little talon claw [foam finger].”

Approximately 50 students attended throughout the hour, Olson said, with both athletes and non-athletes alike invited to join. Nickel expected anywhere between 80 and 500 to attend.

“Wednesday is a tough night [for students] with classes, and there’s soccer games going on, so a lot of people who could’ve been here were at that,” junior swimmer Elle Reed explained, referring to the low turnout.

Angela Kirschner, a sophomore member of the swim team, discussed an increase in mixers and events for athletes happening this fall in comparison to last year. More is being done this year to promote swimming especially, Kirschner explained.

“Compared to last year, there’s a lot more build-up going into the seasons,” Olson added.

Schedules, statistics and more information can be found on the athletics section of Biola’s website.

Midnight Madness

Another upcoming spirit event is Midnight Madness, the next sports pep rally, which will be happening in late November.

“I think it’s really cool because all the sports teams get to march out and get recognized,” Kirschner said. “We all wear our uniforms, and it’s really fun.”

Hundreds of students packed the gym for Midnight Madness last year, the Chimes reported in a previous article. It featured a performance by the hip-hop dance team Xopoc, games and prizes for students, as well as plenty of informal singing and dancing.