Volleyball loses to top two teams

Volleyball lost their first two games of the season, dropping matches to No. 1 Concordia and No. 2 Texas-Brownsville.

Zion_Studios

Sophomores Lauren Hoenecke and Joclyn Kirton put up a powerful block against Texas-Brownsville. Unfortunately for women’s volleyball, that strength was not enough to overpower the #2 team in the GSAC Conference on October 22. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Sophomores Lauren Hoenecke and Joclyn Kirton put up a powerful block against Texas-Brownsville. Unfortunately for women's volleyball, that strength was not enough to overpower the #2 team in the GSAC Conference on October 22. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

After having the strongest start to a season since 2008, No. 3 Biola Volleyball fell to the top two teams in the NAIA.

Biola’s 15 match win-streak and hopes to remain undefeated throughout all of season and conference play came to an abrupt halt when the Eagles faced off against No. 1 Concordia University.

Concordia went into the match undefeated since 2011 and was determined to keep that streak alive. Although the Eagles stayed close in score to Concordia throughout the entire match, Biola fell to Concordia after a two hour match, 3-1. Concordia was also the team to end the Eagles’ 18 game win-streak last year.

“I think that we get so stressed out and we need to remember to stay calm and have fun,” senior libero Tara Rallis said. “It’s a hard gym to play in, and it’s a higher level of play that takes keeping your emotions in check and high level of maturity.”

The next match for the Eagles was equally difficult. No. 2 Texas-Brownsville University bested Biola 3-1. The last time the Eagles defeated the Ocelots was in 2011.

Rallis was named Golden State Athletic Conference player of the week because of her defensive authority on the court. Rallis picked up a total of 21 digs against Concordia and 30 digs against Texas-Brownsville.

Sophomore outside hitter Joclyn Kirton led the team in kills in the Concordia match as well as the Texas-Brownsville. Against Concordia, Kirton produced 12 kills and against Texas, Kirton finished with 18 kills and a hitting percentage of .324.

The Eagles defeated Columbia College while in Texas to produce their first win since the end of their streak.

“We knew going into Texas that we were the underdog,” Kirton said. “It was okay with us because we were in a good position coming into the match. I don’t think the teams took us that seriously. It played in our favor since we beat Colombia.”

SIGHTS SET PAST REGULAR SEASON

Although the goal to have a perfect season is no longer a possibility, the Eagles are positive about the future of the season.

“I think if we keep playing the way we are right now, we can definitely be co-conference champions by the end of the season,” Kirton said.

The Eagles will not see Texas-Brownsville again until the NAIA National Tournament, but will play against Concordia again during conference play in November, where they will implement the lessons they have learned.

“Our biggest obstacle is playing at a higher sustainability,” Rallis said. “I think it’s really easy for us to get lackadaisical when playing certain teams, and that translates to bigger teams like Concordia, so I think that we need to remember to play our game and remember what we are good at.”

The NAIA tournament will prove to be a challenge for Biola, but the Eagles feel ready to take the challenge head-on.

“We are focusing on not playing down to the other team’s level,” Kirton said. “We have to make them play up to our level because we are a good team.”

Biola has a non-conference exhibition match against Saint Catherine College before going up against The Master’s College for the second time in the GSAC conference play on Saturday.