Individual performances highlight first swim meet

Biola placed seventh of eight teams and the men ended up fourth out of five.

Freshman Abby Blake swims between two Azusa Pacific opponents in the 1650 Meter Freestyle at Biola’s pool on Saturday. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Brandon Brown, Writer

Sophomore Abby Blake swims between two Azusa Pacific opponents in the 1650 Meter Freestyle at Biola's pool during a meet last year. Both teams placed second to last at the first meet of the season. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Despite the men’s and women's swim teams both placing second to last at the team’s first meet of the season on Saturday, the weekend was full of great individual performances.

The Eagles were amped and ready to get the season started at the Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference pentathlon. After a very long offseason of seemingly endless practice and dieting, the swimmers first opportunity to compete in 2013 finally arrived.

Leading the Eagles in points was junior Christine Tixier, who racked up an outstanding 58 points total in the individual medley pentathlon. She finished second in the 100 meter butterfly with a time of 57.81 seconds as well as second in the 100 meter breaststroke with a time of 1:09.37. Tixier ended her day by placing sixth in the 200 meter as well as placing in the top 20 in two other events.

SOPHOMORE ON TOP

Top finisher for the men was sophomore Brandon Hughes, who scored 19 points by himself as well as grabbing a handful of top 25 finishes in the 200 freestyle, 25 freestyle and 100 freestyle.

"It’s all about keeping good form opposed to speed. Focusing on form keeps swimmers from getting a time that they can't maintain throughout the year,” Hughes said.

While Loyola Marymount took home first for the women and California Baptist won for the men, Biola demonstrated strength and individual potential. The Eagles will continue on in their season with the women competing up north at the University of Alaska Fairbanks on Oct. 25-26. The men will stay local that weekend, partaking in the Malibu Invitational on Oct. 26.