Golf teams finish seventh at Embry-Riddle

Biola golf team continues to dominate.

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Biola golf continued their fall season this past weekend in Arizona at the Embry-Riddle Co-Ed Invitational. Grinding out three rounds in the dry desert heat, both teams secured seventh place.

The men finished last in their division, taking seventh out of seven teams. Sophomore William Langworthy finished first for the Eagles at +27, tied for 29th.

Sophomores Kevin Vandekamp and Lucas Kinan finished within one stroke of each other with overall scores of 250 and 251 respectively. Senior Max Allen shot a 262, and junior Micah Mathis closed out the Eagles with a 266.

Claremont-Mudd-Scripps dominated on the men’s side, sweeping first, second and third individual places, all with scores under par. Justin Beck finished as the low scorer each day, with rounds of 71, 70 and 68. As a team, CMS finished in first with a team score of -5.

On the women’s side, Biola beat out Texas Lutheran University by 15 strokes to finish in seventh out of eight.

Jackie Mata was the Eagles’ big scorer, shooting +28 and finishing tied for 18th. The senior shot 81, 81 and 82 over the three days and was the only Biola player to finish in the top-20.

Other finishers’ totals included freshman Amanda Hobbs at 265 and sophomore Jasmine Rodriguez with 270, as well as seniors Beth Williams and Megan Anderson with 278 and 285, respectively.

Cal State San Marcos won the tournament with a 922 team score, 132 strokes ahead of the Eagles. Taylor Coover from San Marcos captured the individual title, shooting +6 with daily scores of 74,73 and 75.

Up next for both teams is the CSU San Marcos Fall Classic on Oct. 20-22 at Twin Oaks Golf Course. As the last tournament of the fall preseason, the Eagles will look to get some on-the-course work in before beginning season play in 2014.