Men’s soccer defeats Master’s for first GSAC win

The Eagles overcame two first half deficits to beat The Master’s College and remain undefeated.

Senior forward Daniel Chew works against Masters defense to reach the goal. | Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Natalie Lockard/THE CHIMES

Men’s soccer captured their seventh win of the season Wednesday night at Al Barbour field. Despite trailing twice in the first half, the No. 8 Eagles found a way to come from behind and bring down The Master’s College 4-2.

A big part of the win came as a result of clutch goal scoring from a variety positions. In total, four players tallied goals for the Eagles. Senior midfielder Kevin Kiser and sophomore midfielder Marshall Deogracia scored their first goals of the season.

The Mustangs got on the board first, scoring just three minutes into the game. Biola answered shortly after in the 17th minute. Senior striker Daniel Chew notched his team-leading sixth goal of 2013 off a penalty kick.

Despite some staunch defensive work, Master’s would strike again in the 36th minute and went into the locker room at half with a 2-1 lead.

Biola came out of the halftime with an enormous amount of intensity. Assisted by sophomore Joey O’Keefe, sophomore midfielder John Hanscom directed an equalizer goal into the back of the net in the 47th minute.

Not three minutes later, Hanscom dropped a ball back Kiser, who sent a 30 yard laser past the Mustang goalkeeper for the game winner. Deogracia provided an insurance goal in the 85th minute to seal the game for Biola.

The win brings the Eagles to 7-0-1 in 2013. Since joining the Golden State Athletic Conference in 1994, Biola has never started their season with eight straight games without a loss.

In addition to their flawless record, the win also keeps the Eagles atop the GSAC standings. Currently, Biola is the only team in GSAC without a loss and ranked in the NAIA rankings.

The men’s next game is this Saturday night at home against Concordia University Irvine. Concordia has been a force to be reckoned with over the past few years in GSAC. Last season, the Eagles lost in Irvine to CUI early in the season but upset the No. 4 Irvine Eagles at home in late October.

Currently, Concordia is 4-3 overall but 1-0 in GSAC play after defeating Arizona Christian University on Wednesday afternoon.