Campus coffee changing to Groundworks

Biola’s current campus coffee transitions to Groundwork Coffee Company.

Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Dayna Drum, Writer

Seattle's Best will soon be replaced by coffee from the Groundwork Coffee Company. General manager of Bon Appetit Biola Steve Rall comments that coffee prices might increase due to this change. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Groundwork Coffee Company will be replacing current coffee brands on Biola’s campus in as few as three weeks, which could raise the price of coffee drinks, said Steve Rall, general manager of Bon Appetit Biola. Biola’s coffee locations currently serve several brands including Seattle’s Best, Starbucks and Halo Brand. Groundwork Coffee, established in 1994, is a Los Angeles based company and one of the first certified organic roasteries in Southern California, according to the company’s website.

The changeover will begin in the Talon, which currently uses Halo Brand Coffee, and if Groundwork is received well, then a campus-wide change will be made within a month, Rall said. Bon Appetit is committed to using Farm to Fork vendors, which are local, owner-operated farms that make under $5 million in sales. Bon Appetit will be replacing Halo Brand because it is has surpassed the $5 million requirement and is no longer considered a Farm to Fork vendor. Biola will not be the only Bon Appetit location to use Groundwork Coffee, Rall said.

“The responses I saw [from other locations] went very well,” Rall said.

Groundwork Coffee will also be providing coffee grinders to each location so that all the coffee will be freshly ground, Rall said.

Starbucks syrups are currently used at all locations across campus but will soon be replaced with Monin coffee syrups, thus severing Bon Appetit’s relationship with Starbucks, Rall said. The only issue with bringing in a new syrup brand is the potential necessity of re-training employees to ensure the drinks taste the same, Rall said.

Rise in prices

There is also a potential for beverage prices to rise with the new products. The prices will be determined by the amount of syrup the new product calls for; if more is required then the solution will be higher drink prices, Rall said.

“I want to make sure that the drinks are somewhat consistent,” Rall said.

Bon Appetit will not be paying any more than it already is for the coffee products, Rall said.

The possibility of higher beverage prices is not sitting well with students so far.

“I feel like the prices already went up a little bit. Higher prices is not what I’m looking for,” said Adeline Saldaña, sophomore communication disorders major.

Some feel that higher prices might prevent them from drinking coffee on campus in the future.

“If there was a price raise, I would probably have to find coffee somewhere else. If I have to struggle to get money together for coffee, then I’m not going to get coffee,” said Logan Collier, senior biochemistry major.

However, other students believe better coffee might be worth a higher cost.

“If it’s better, then I’m open to it,” said Olivia Kamal, junior film major.

Others believe only a very significant improvement would warrant a price change. Cameron Long, a senior communications major, said he would be hesitant to pay more for better coffee.

“If it was distinguishably more delicious, then that would be a different story,” Long said.

Groundwork Coffee Company set up in front of the SUB on September 18, giving students the opportunity to taste their coffee in hopes of convincing the on-campus coffee shops to sell their brand. Although many enjoyed their coffee brand, some are still on the fence. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Divided student opinion

Students seem to be split on the idea of replacing the Halo Brand.

“I’ve heard students and faculty say that they like our coffee better than Commons. I don’t know that I would want to change,” said Beth Long, the Talon student supervisor. 

Long is not the only one who is uncertain at the idea of a brand change.

“I think it has potential to be either really good or really bad because this blend’s pretty decent,” Collier said, referring to Halo Brand.

Others appear to welcome a coffee changeover.

“I like local coffee, and if it tastes better then I’m all in,” said Karly Cable, junior psychology major.

Cable wasn’t the only student with this opinion.

“I’m good with changes, so I’m excited for it. I think it could be good,” Kamal said.