Biola soccer teams take on alumni

Biola almuni play soccer with former teammates to boost morale.

Sophomore Joey O’Keefe enjoys dribbling against a Biola alumni during the annual alumni soccer game. | Beth Crabtree/THE CHIMES

Nikki Hadley, Writer

Men's and women's soccer had the opportunity to take on former Biola soccer players in the alumni games on Saturday night. | Beth Crabtree/THE CHIMES

Biola men’s and women’s soccer teams took a break from their intense and competitive seasons to play against alumni teammates on Saturday, Sept. 21 at home.

Multiple sports teams at Biola take time to play against old teammates, but soccer is the first to make it happen this year. Though some have moved past Biola, numerous players on the alumni team are still students here or now help coach.

Former captain and center mid player, Tony Montalvo, came back to play for the alumni team.

“I just got done playing PDL [Premier Development League] with the Southern California Seahorses, which is a sports ministry team, but playing at Biola was great. It’s cool to be back and playing with the guys and seeing what they’re doing,” Montalvo said.

Another former captain and right back Ben Ortega is still playing soccer in his spare time.

“I’m playing soccer now. It’s not much, just men’s leagues and indoor, but nobody really stops playing soccer if you played competitively,” Ortega said.

TEAMMATES REUNITED

Several of the current players on the men’s team expressed the enjoyment of seeing old faces and interacting with former teammates.

“It was kind of a blast from the past … it was good to have them back on the field and there was a lot of friendly banter going on between us,” junior forward Alex Kincaid said.

Senior center back Kevin Kiser had a good time playing with the guys who he still has a unique bond with.

“It’s like a brotherhood. Once you’re on the team, you’re always on the team,” Kiser said.

The women also took on former players, and many said that it helped improve current team moral.

“It was really great to get out and play against the alumni, and it turns out that most of them are still pretty great at soccer and haven’t lost their skills,” said junior goalkeeper Briana Williams.

Sophomore midfielder Adeline Saldaña was impressed by the how the alumni ladies played and enjoyed playing against one of her coaches.

“We played with Brittany Barr, who is now on the coaching staff … she always tears it up and is always making good passes and working hard,” Saldana said.

While Saturday was all fun and games, it’s back to work for both teams. With a successful combined record of 11-2-1, both teams will face rigorous tests in the near future.

The women will continue on with their season this Friday, Sept. 27 at 3:30 p.m. against Notre Dame de Namur California, in Belmont, Calif. The men pick back up next Wednesday, Oct. 5 at home, where they kick off conference play against The Master’s College.