Art gallery dedication, CCCA kickoff encourages eventful evening on campus

The CCCA event on Friday made for an exciting night on campus.

Zion_Studios

Dr. Barry Corey cuts the ceremonial ribbon during the opening of the Center for Christianity, Culture and the Arts on September 20. In addition to the ribbon cutting, guests enjoyed viewing work from various artists and a jazz concert on Metzger Lawn. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

Grace Gibney, Writer

The Center for Christianity, Culture and the Arts held its kick-off event on Friday, Sept. 20 starting with the dedication of the Earl and Virginia Green Art Gallery, and was soon followed by a jazz concert on Metzger lawn.

The gallery opened its doors at 6:00 p.m., and was soon bustling with students and alumni alike contemplating the “Amass” exhibit of Linnéa Gabriella Spransy.

“I really like that the gallery space is being used by LA artists because it’s something that Biola can really benefit from,” said senior sociology major Stormie Knott. “It’s bringing what’s happening in the art world to our campus.”

Howard and Roberta Ahmanson of Fieldstead and Co. contributed a $750,000 grant toward the renovation of the Earl and Virginia Green Art Gallery. Mrs. Ahmanson shared how her parents’ perspectives, for whom the gallery is named, influenced her own views on the role of arts in the Christian world.

“The arts cross all disciplinary boundaries because they reach into our hearts, minds and the imaginations of human beings,” Ahmanson said. “They’re very critical because we need to have a godly imagination and the arts are a great place to start.”

Additionally, the dedication featured president Barry Corey, provost and senior vice president David Nystrom, former poet laureate Dana Gioia and featured artist Spransy in the ribbon cutting ceremony.

The night ended with friends and families lingering amid a sea of blankets and lawn chairs on Metzger lawn for the jazz concert. Featured musicians included Rique Pantoja, Alex Acuna, Mike Bagasao, Abe Laboriel and Linda McCrary. Students from the music department also performed onstage alongside McCrary.

Jeniffer Rivera-Pulse, a 1998 alum whose husband teaches in the art department, came out to see Laboriel perform. There was no one particular song she liked, but she really enjoyed the improvisations — “especially when they take off,” Rivera-Pulse said.