Biola steals win from No. 14 San Marcos

Women’s soccer won their fourth game in a row in a defensive showdown at Al Barbour field.

Junior midfielder Amanda Lillicrop attempts to steal the ball from San Marcos freshman Sidney Hernandez during the one-goal win against UC San Marcos on September 19. | Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

The women’s soccer team needed only one goal early in the first half to upset No. 14 Cal State San Marcos Cougars for the first time since 2009 on Thursday. The win puts the Eagles’ record at 5-2.

San Marcos midfielder Courtney Kay took the first shot one minute into the game to try to establish an early lead. The attempt failed as the ball went high over the net.

Despite the struggle to keep possession of the ball, the Eagles were able to keep San Marcos from scoring position for most of the first half.

“San Marcos is a very direct team, so we knew that they would just send long balls into the defense and have the forwards run to it,” senior defender Michelle Andre said. “We usually don’t play teams to that extent so in practice we had people kicking long balls out to our defense to work on their style of play.”

A GOOD FIGHT AGAINST A PHYSICAL TEAM

In the 7th minute, freshman midfielder Jessie Burns was able to break free from the cluster of the Cougars’ defense to try to put the Eagles on the board. Burns’ kick was too powerful and the ball sailed high over the net. The freshman also tried to put BU on the board again in the 18th minute.

It was Amanda Lillicrop who broke the scoreless tie. The junior midfielder placed a header on frame. San Marcos goalkeeper Kimi Mendenhall reached to block it, but the ball skimmed over her fingers to give Biola the 1-0 lead.

In the second half the Cougars came out and put Biola on the defensive end for most of the game. The Eagles’ defense stepped up to the challenge and did not let San Marcos score.

“We wanted to be very physical. This team is possibly the most physical team we will ever play in our season,” Andre said. “We wanted to be hard and strong on the ball and not let them take it.”

The Eagles look to continue their four-game win streak against the Notre Dame De Namur Argonauts in Belmont on Sept. 27.