Biola transitions from Blackboard to Canvas

Biola will no longer be using Blackboard but will move to a new system called Canvas.

Jared Dobbs, Writer

As Biola moves away from Blackboard to a new learning management system, Canvas, some students will find themselves using both platforms.

Junior political science major Nicole Rantzow is one student using both Blackboard and Canvas this semester. She was not too concerned with having to navigate the new learning management system.

“After awhile, I think I can probably get it,” Rantzow said.

Biola will begin exclusively using the Canvas learning management system next fall in place of Blackboard. The university has used Blackboard since 2006, but the market for educational technology has changed rapidly since then, according to a June 2013 document prepared for the provost by director of distance learning Ron Hannaford entitled, “Learning Management System Appraisal.”

The document further elaborated that Blackboard currently does not offer the technology required for accreditation and federal Department of Education purposes.

Biola entered into a contract with Canvas on July 1 that allows for the simultaneous use of both learning management systems through the next 12 months. Blackboard’s contract with the university expires in July 2014, according to Hannaford.

Canvas designed to be intuitive

Learning Canvas should be easier than dealing with Blackboard, according to applied instructional technology administrator Matthew Weathers.

“Canvas is designed from the ground up to be more student-centric. In fact, it was invented by two students who were frustrated with the user-interface of Blackboard,” Weathers said.

Hannaford praised several features that set Canvas apart from Blackboard including the wider media integration that allows teachers to grade using written, audio or video comments. Discussion boards can also use video commenting.

“You can have live Skype-type video calls, faculty to student, or student to student — up to 10 people in one discussion,” Hannaford said.

Hannaford also noted that the platform can use the same sign-on, which will allow students to use their my.Biola username and password combination to log into their accounts. Transcripts of videos will also be available to students in Chinese, Spanish and English, which will help students with learning disabilities or ESL students at Biola, according to Hannaford.

Faculty feel good about the new system

After the transition, Biola will enter a regular contract with Canvas for the next four years. The current academic year gives time for faculty to adjust to the new software and transfer classes from Blackboard to Canvas.

Some faculty have already chosen to make the switch.

Biblical studies professor Joanne Jung was part of piloting the software during interterm 2013. She has now completely switched all of her classes to Canvas– a transition she found easy to make. Her classes are part of the eight to 12 percent of on-campus courses that are using Canvas this semester, according to Weathers.

Jung has received positive student feedback regarding Canvas. She was pleased with the grading features and video conferencing component.

“I found it easy to use; I found it very intuitive and effective, both on my end as a professor as well as for my TA’s,” Jung said.

“Faculty feedback has been strongly in favor of the Canvas LMS,” Hannaford wrote in the “Learning Management System Appraisal” document.

When making their decision, Hannaford also consulted the positive assessments of other universities who had switched to Canvas, including San Jose State University and Pasadena City College.