Letter from the Editor: my vision for the next 52 weeks

Heather Leith expresses her excitement and vision for her year serving as editor-in-chief of the Chimes.

Heather Leith is the 2013-14 editor-in-chief of the Chimes. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Heather Leith, Writer

I never thought I would be writing this column.

I expected to coast from sophomore year to junior year, finish up my time as features editor at the Chimes and pleasantly part ways with Biola’s school newspaper after enjoying a year on staff.

Then I went to Panera with Elizabeth Sallie.

My future at Biola looked drastically different by the end of that lunch date, as I had just agreed to consider taking over her position as editor-in-chief of the newspaper we both dearly loved.

So what changed? Why did I agree to long nights and tight deadlines after planning to peace out? Simply put, I believe in the Chimes’ potential to spark conversation and personal growth on campus.

We excel at quick coverage in the news section — last year, whether it was the first abortion poster incident, the faux shooter or the ridiculously close AS presidential election results, we were on the scene with a notepad and camera in tow, ready to bring facts and stories to your hands as quickly as possible. We believe in fast, factual and pertinent news.

We also try to unearth fascinating stories in the features section about Biolans and the world into which they are going forth. We celebrate janitors who form a band, professors who open a gospel-centered coffee shop, international students who acclimate to Los Angeles culture and 87-year-olds who walk at graduation. We believe in you, and the story inside of you waiting to be told.

We welcome diverse worldviews and passionately personal articles in the opinions section. If students want a platform to share their perspective on gender equality, encourage their peers to put their phones away more often, or relay a poignant experience from a gay pride parade, their voice will be heard. We believe in loud, clear, gospel-centered voices that challenge the body of Christ to direct their attention to an issue they may not have considered before.

We know that athletics are what many Biolans’ lives revolve around, and we share their heart-pounding, sweat-dripping, pressure-filled moments in the sports section. We believe in representing our Eagle athletes through articles that rejoice in the victories, commiserate in the losses and analyze all the moments in between.

And finally, we share our perspective on the creative passion poured into movies, music and more through the arts and entertainment section. From student films to box-office blockbusters, from theater department plays to Pantages performances, from senior gallery shows to Getty art openings, we love to take a closer look at the things that fill our leisure time. We believe in glorifying God through celebrating those who create because he first created them.

I believe in the things we put into the paper and online — and in the 32-person staff that makes it happen. I believe in the power of words, videos, photos and design to tell the stories that God authored. I believe that those stories can challenge us and change us.

We do not produce the Chimes in hopes that we will have our name in large print or add an item to our résumé. We are here to serve you, Biola. I shared earlier that I never thought I’d be running this operation, but I hope that encourages you to reach out to us, because we are no mightier than you. You are always welcome in our office — we’re always there from 7 p.m. till … late, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

And please, exercise your mind in our comment section — our publication needs your unique perspective. I speak for the whole staff when I say that we want to interact with you and are available to listen, no matter how different your viewpoint may be.

As unexpected as it is, I am excited to have this fun, prayer-fueled, deadline-crazed responsibility. I am thrilled to work hard for something I believe in, and I eagerly await the suggestions for how we may serve you better.

May God teach us all something this year through the 27 issues we produce. May you ask questions and find answers. May you be stirred up, shaken around and called out. May you be informed and inspired as we seek to glorify the Lord together.

On the journey with you,
Heather Leith