Eagles win overtime thriller against APU

It took more than 90 minutes to determine the winner, but Biola men’s soccer ultimately emerged victorious at home on Tuesday night against Azusa Pacific.

Sophomore Joey O’Keefe leads the team in a victory lap after an intense overtime win against Azusa Pacific. Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Sophomore Joey O'Keefe leads the team in a victory lap after an intense overtime win against Azusa Pacific. Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Thanks to late heroics from both junior midfielder Steven Day and senior forward Daniel Chew, men’s soccer defeated Azusa Pacific University 1-0 in overtime. The showdown at Al Barbour field Tuesday night pitted two former rivals in a school-spirited “bragging rights” match up.

The game as a whole was a defensive showcase by both teams. The Eagles held Azusa to just two shots on goal over the entire game, with sophomore goalkeeper JT Addington saving them both. APU keeper Chip Cox played his part as well in keeping his team in the game. In the 32nd minute, Cox made a spectacular save to his left to keep sophomore midfielder Joey O’Keefe off the scoring sheet.

The last 20 minutes provided the 400+ fans of both teams in attendance a good deal of excitement. The Cougars had two shots come off the post and the crossbar in a matter of seconds, as the ball continued to bounce around in front of the Biola goal. The Eagles experienced a similar situation moments later when sophomore midfielder Stephen Tanquary placed a ball just a tad too high and it skipped off the crossbar. Both teams continued to push, but ultimately, the referee signaled the end of regulation and the beginning of a golden goal overtime.

Not but a minute into the first overtime period, Day received a cross from the far left and fired toward the goal. Cougar defender Tanner Akol stepped in front of Day to block the shot, but ended up getting called for a handball. The decision came with a flurry of protests from the APU bench, but the ref stood firm in his call. Chew stepped up moments later and calmly placed the ball into the back of the net for the win.

The victory is the first for the Eagles against their former Golden State Athletic Conference rivals since Azusa Pacific left for the NCAA at the beginning of last year. It also marks the team's second straight win, moving to 2-0 on the season.

Up next, the men travel to San Diego for a scrimmage with Point Loma Nazarene University this Saturday. They will return home to take on Marymount California University Tuesday the 3rd.