Volleyball season off to fiery start

The Eagles rocketed to their best start since 2008, taking all four games in the Biola Summer Slam.

The starting six huddle together before beginning game #2 against UC San Marcos during the Vanguard tournament on September 13. | Rachelle Cihonski/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Having finished the 2012 campaign reaching the semi-finals of the NAIA Championships, Biola women’s volleyball entered into the 2013 season just as anyone would expect: red hot. The No. 4 ranked Eagles swept the Biola/Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Summer Slam, going 4-0 between Thursday and Friday.

Day One

The Eagles charged into the first two games of the season and exited with back-to-back wins against Southern Oregon University and the College of Idaho.

Biola was first matched up against Southern Oregon. The Eagles took the Raiders to four sets to secure their win.

The Eagles won the first set against the Raiders 25-20. In the second set, Biola fell to Southern Oregon 25-20. Biola returned from the loss and won the third set 25-13. From there Biola continued their momentum into the fourth set to defeat the Raiders 25-15.

Sophomore outside hitter Alyssa Mason, who recently transferred from Pepperdine University, led Biola in kills with 15 overall. Senior Chelsee Arnitz contributed a total of 12 kills during the match to help secure Biola’s win.

Biola’s second match of the day was against the No. 6 College of Idaho. The Eagles defeated the Yotes in four sets, falling in the first but taking the next three straight.

In the first set Idaho secured a win against Biola 25-13. The Eagles were able to regroup in the second set to earn a win 25-17. Idaho and Biola battled closely throughout the third set, but through a series of kills Biola pulled out on top 25-19. The Eagles kept their composure in the fourth set to defeat the Yotes 25-23.

Junior middle blocker Amy Weststyen displayed her offensive strength by contributing 16 kills with only two errors. Senior Tara Rallis displayed Biola’s defensive strength with 17 digs.

Day Two

Biola rode their momentum from the first day of the tournament into their match against Lewis-Clark State College on Friday.  The Eagles swept the Warriors 25-15, 25-15 and 25-18.

Biola took on Concordia University Oregon for the final match of the tournament. The Eagles asserted their dominance once more by defeating the Cavaliers 25-16, 25-17 and 25-18.

Biola’s offence played a huge role in the win against Concordia. Weststyen led the team with a total of 18 kills, and Mason and sophomore outside hitter Jocyln Kirton each contributed nine kills.

Aside from the four-game winning streak, the Eagles currently hold another statistic: Biola won nine consecutive sets spanning three separate games.

Following a scrimmage against Azusa Pacific University on Monday, the Eagles look to continue their winning streak at the Concordia University Labor Day Festival in Irvine August 30-31. Biola’s first matchup will be Friday the 30th at 11 a.m. against Carroll College.