Athlete of the Week: senior Lauren Marlow is a “great golfer”

Senior golfer committed to the success of her team and her craft.

Rachel Adams/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

There are two types of golfers in this world.

Good golfers walk onto courses on Sunday afternoons and consistently deliver prosperous pars, bountiful birdies and electrifying eagles.

Great golfers, while accomplishing all this, realize that there is so much more to the game than your score after 72 holes. The relationships built, the lessons learned and the impact one’s character has at the end of the day after walking off the course outweigh any top-10 finish. 

MARLOW STANDS OUT AS A "GREAT GOLFER"

So when asked what the most defining moment of her career at Biola was, senior Lauren Marlow chose not to respond with the many accomplishments she has had over the past two years, but rather to prove that she falls into that elite category of “great golfers.”

“One of our players committed her life to Christ this semester,” Marlow said. “I had played high school golf with her and talked to her about coming to Biola. In the end, it’s so worth it that she came here for golf and found God.”

Marlow, who is finishing out her final semester of athletic eligibility, has spent the past two seasons as one of women’s golf standout leaders. Having carded one of the program’s lowest rounds, a one over 73, last season, and snagging three top-10 finishes in tournament this season, success is nothing new.

ATHLETE COMMITTED TO TEAM AND GOD

What sets apart the graduating senior, though, is her commitment to both the well-being of her team and her personal walk with God.

“When you come to Biola, you become immersed in the word and the Lord,” Marlow said. “I feel like that does wonders for the golf game. You’re at peace in your heart and your mind and when you’re out on the golf course, it’s so much easier to play well when you have the right mindset.”

Learning how to be patient and keep a level head certainly came into play this past week when Marlow competed in the NAIA Qualifier tournament held at Diamond Woods Golf Course in Monroe, Ore.

“The conditions of the course were terrible,” Marlow said. “Our practice round got hailed on and the greens were flooded most of the day.”

Despite being an Oregon native and growing up used to a damp rough and soaked greens, the senior described the conditions as being difficult for any golfer.

“I didn’t score well, but for the conditions, I did,” Marlow said. “I knew that there were going to be other high scores out there and that I didn’t have to go out and shoot under par.”

PLANS TO BE ASSISTANT COACH

With her collegiate career coming to a close, the senior has no plans of taking off just yet. On track to graduate in December of 2013, she intends to stay close to the young talent beginning to blossom, and continuing to support her team will be an integral part of her near future.

"Next semester I’ll be assistant coaching with the team,” Marlow said. “I’m hoping to be able to mentor the girls and help them with their golf game as well as their spiritual life, because I believe those two go hand in hand.”

“My plans are when I graduate, I’ll probably join a golf course, give lessons on the side, and join a mini-tour,” Marlow said. “I’ll probably end up hiring a caddie, and trying to get some sponsors, and see what happens.”

Whatever the future holds, the hopeful pro can be sure that the passion she exhibits both on and off the course will always be looked at favorably. The world of golf is always in need of great golfers, those who uphold the respect of the game and the character of its players.

Lauren Marlow is that great golfer.