University taking steps to reduce overcrowding

Although a large amount of construction is happening on campus, Biola is continuing to take steps to help reduce overcrowding.

Jackie Grade, Writer

With the detour for Lot K construction opening behind Alpha last week, campus has lost a handful of parking spaces, making it seem even more cramped to some. However, with a new lot opening next year, new Mock Rock line regulations and the Caf expansion set to open, the university has taken a variety of steps to manage available space.

Although the construction has limited parking on upper campus, there are definitely enough spaces around campus for students to park temporarily, according to Brian Phillips, senior director of facilities management.

“There is a surplus of parking right now. It’s just not as convenient,” Phillips said.

Students can find ample parking below the soccer field as well as in the five-story parking structure across from the pool, he said.

Phillips estimates the parking structure in Lot K behind Alpha Hall will officially open in April 2014 with 948 more parking spaces available.

He stated that Biola expects the student body to grow at a modest rate of two percent every year.

Space also an issue in on-campus events

Space constraints don’t only show up in parking, but in on-campus events as well. Mock Rock on Friday promising another packed-out Gym, but Associated Students has added new regulations to help keep lines under control.

Michelle Orgill, a senior journalism major and AS Social Events Coordinator, stated that the infamously long lines that loop around campus are a tradition in itself, though. This year, in order to make sure Biola students can all attend Mock Rock, AS has decided to charge non-students $5 for admittance.

“We totally want others to come to Mock Rock, but every year we always have to turn away Biola students from coming,” Orgill said.

The Caf construction has also led to cramped space within and outside of the cafeteria. Phillips stated that the Caf will be completed by April 19 with a ribbon cutting ceremony on April 22. The renovations will include extra seating in order to improve the eating space during the crowded dining hours, he explained. While the new addition is outside, Phillips added that it will be a covered area filled with heating lamps.

“It is outside because Southern California is a great place to have outdoor dining,” Phillips said.

New dorm to add over 300 beds

The new residence hall, presently known as North Hall, will break ground in May 2014 and will be a four-story building filled with 346 beds. The dorm should be completed in fall 2015.

While La Mirada requires Biola to provide adequate parking, Biola’s student body would outweigh the parking spaces by 2015 without the parking structure. As cautionary measures, the parking structure and residence hall will free up future space issues.

Similar to last year, there will also be screens at the Fireplace Pavilion as overflow opportunities in case the gym becomes too crowded.

Undaunted by the parking limitations due to construction, Orgill stated that both students and the friends and family members who attend will be able to find a parking spot either on campus or nearby.

“People always find a way to Mock Rock,” she said.

While the construction temporarily prohibits space and will continue on during Mock Rock, it is short-lived and soon there will be even more space open for students in the cafeteria and parking structure, Phillips said.