Softball falls in doubleheader sweep to No. 1 Concordia

NAIA No. 1 Concordia University Irvine beats Eagles 7-0 and 8-2 to improve to 14-0 in Golden State Athletic Conference play.

Anders Corey

Senior Sarah Stromwall prevents the opposing team from scoring during on of the team’s home games. Biola softball follows their split with Concordia with another at San Diego Christian. | Anders Corey/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Alexandra Campos, Writer

The Biola softball team suffered a doubleheader sweep against No. 1 Concordia University Irvine on Saturday. The Eagles were shut out 7-0 in the first game and lost 8-2 in the second. Biola drops their overall to 21-23 and 5-6 in conference play. Concordia concludes their conference play with an overall record of 40-3 and an undefeated Golden State Athletic Conference record of 14-0.

In their first game, the Eagles struggled offensively and managed only three hits throughout the game while Concordia pitcher Katie Cotta struck out 14 over seven innings. The game was quiet until the bottom of the third when a Biola fielding error allowed for Concordia’s Annette Merjano to score the first run of the game. Soon after and with the bases loaded, Shainna Groom doubled out to right center to send all three players home. Concordia managed one more run at the end of the third to make it 5-0.

Concordia’s offense did not stop there. In the bottom of the sixth, Concordia hit back-to-back homers with one out to extend their lead to 7-0. With this win,Concordia records its 24th shutout in 42 games.

Biola started their second game with their first two runs of the season against the top team in the NAIA. They got their first run in the top of the third after Concordia’s five-run inning, which included a grand slam to left center in the bottom of the second.

Concordia continued their dominance as Biola failed to score throughout the rest of the game. In the fifth, Concordia managed another two runs to pad their lead.

Biola will visit Hope International University in Fullerton for another doubleheader on Tuesday April 16 beginning at 2:00 p.m. 

Sophomore Sarah Stromwall tags a runner out. The softball team's record fell to 21-26 overall and 5-9 in Golden State Athletic Conference play. The Eagles sit in fourth place, two games behind Hope International University. | Anders Corey/THE CHIMES [file photo]