Softball splits against Vanguard

Bria Madrid’s walk-off single leads Eagles in game one, but they fall 3-2 in the nightcap.

Alexandra Campos, Writer

The Biola softball team split its Golden State Athletic conference doubleheader against Vanguard University at Freedom Field on Saturday. The Eagles’ first game ended in a 1-0 walk-off win, but they fell 3-2 in an eight-inning game to end the day.

Vanguard's Rachel Salford had a one-hit shutout going until the bottom of the seventh in the opening game, until the Eagles rallied to score the only run of the game. Senior Chelsea Limm was moved to second after her single, and managed to score off a single by freshman Bria Madrid.

Biola was out-hit 5-3 during their first encounter of the day, yet the Lions left seven runners stranded and failed to convert.

Despite the loss, Vanguard started the second game with an early run in the first. Biola quickly answered in the next inning as they took a 2-1 lead. Sophomore Brooke Madrid took advantage of a Vanguard error that put her on base followed by a single by freshman Heather Hall. With two runners on, sophomore Ashley Spadt's single to right field brought both home.

In the fourth, Vanguard's Brittney Boggs' was driven home by a Gabrielle Jackson double to tie the game at 2-2. The teams stayed tied until the eighth inning when a sacrifice bunt and an RBI ground-out allowed Vanguard's Kari Bergerson to score and take the conference win.

Biola now sits at a 19-22 overall record and 5-5 in conference play. The teams finished their season series, 2-2 while Vanguard moves to a 30-18 overall record and 6-4 in GSAC.

The Eagles will host La Sierra University on Tuesday in another double header starting at 2:00 p.m.