Distraction in chapel: Singspiration goes too far

Robert James Winans argues that Singspiration is in danger of becoming too distracting from the actual worship experience.

Olivia Blinn

Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Robert James Winans, Writer

Robert James Winans argues that the dramatic lighting at Singspiration is distracting. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES [file photo]

I used to love Singspiration. Lately, however, the night of worship has turned into something that has led to disappointment and distraction. Perhaps I have grown more irritable in my two years at Biola, or maybe my inner Reformed Baptist is showing, but I am heartbroken at what the night has become.

To sum my complaint up in one word: showmanship. My complaint is twofold.  First, concerning the complicated lighting. Second, concerning the distraction of those who express themselves very outwardly — i.e., dancing, shouting, etc. Stay with me through the article and hear me out completely, that is all I ask.

In addressing my first point, I can think of multiple times when I have been “getting into worship” when all of a sudden there is a beam of light that burns out my retina. First of all, is that good for our eyes? Secondly, is it necessary? I can understand how people think it is “cool” to have a really professional, concert-style setting. But why do we need that? I am not recommending we do this, but are we unable to worship God in a fully lit gymnasium? I believe it is more distracting for some people to have complex lighting arrangements than it would be to simply have a well-lit stage and a darkened auditorium.

My suggestion: Keep it simple. Every week should have the same lighting set-up before Singspiration and not touched until tear down. Limit unnecessary distractions.

Before I address my second point, I need to make something clear: My intention is not to undermine the way someone chooses to worship.

What I am trying to request of people who are more outward in their expression is to be more aware of their displays of worship — whether dancing, shouting or other things that may be seen as distracting. Do not hold back from your expression of thankfulness and the overflowing of your heart. My concern is that we might be outwardly expressing our worship in a manner as to be seen by others. Judgment is not my intention here. I am simply bringing it up because this is what people seem to be thinking.

My suggestion: Be mindful of your actions. Keep on worshipping, but be aware that you may be distracting.

We all worship in different ways. Singspiration is a place that allows us to foster our lives of worship in a musical setting. We must keep in mind, however, that our worship is not contingent on light shows and musical sets. Our worship is an ongoing overflow of joy because of all that Christ means to us. Worship should not be dependent on the lighting or the musical aspect Singspiration offers. Singspiration has great potential, but that may be most fully reached when students become more thoughtful about their worship in a community setting.