Turner’s fourth straight win gets baseball back to .500

Senior starter Nick Turner won his fourth straight start to help the Eagles defeat Westmont College.

Conner Penfold, Writer

Senior starting pitcher Nick Turner earns his fourth consecutive win, throwing all nine innings in a 4-1 win over Westmont College. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Senior starting pitcher Nick Turner entered Friday afternoon’s conference matchup with Westmont College having won his previous three starts. The right-hander increased that number to four as Biola baseball took game one of a three-game series against the Warriors, 4-1.

Turner threw exactly 100 pitches in a complete-game performance as he earned his team-leading seventh win of the year.

Westmont bothered Turner early, drawing a walk and singling through the left side in the opening frame to put the first two runners of the game on base. The Warriors notched their only run of the game with a David Gabel sacrifice fly but were limited by Turner to just two hits the rest of the game.

Following Westmont catcher Brandon Gildea’s first inning single, Turner retired 27 of the next 30 batters, including a stretch from the fourth to the eighth inning where he sat down 14 straight.

“[Sam] Thorne and I just got on the same page,” Turner said. “He helped me throughout the game always calling the right pitches at the right time.”

Freshman catcher Sam Thorne singles for the third time in Friday's game, scoring a run from second base to give Biola a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Thorne reaches base in all four at-bats to lead offense

Freshman catcher Sam Thorne — who has been behind the dish for six of Turner’s seven wins — recorded his third three-hit game of the season going 3-for-3 on the afternoon. His third hit of the day plated the go-ahead run for the Eagles in the sixth.

“I was really relaxed at the plate today,” Thorne said. “I felt comfortable in the box and really focused on staying tall through my swing and getting my foot down early.”

Thorne’s RBI was his 27th of the season, which ties him for the team-lead with junior second baseman Michael Annunziata.

Annunziata upped his hitting streak to five games with a 2-for-4 performance at the plate. The switch-hitter from Manorville, N. Y. has three consecutive two-hit games and leads the team with seven multi-hit games.

Junior shortstop Johnny Farrington and sophomore third baseman Mike Chriss each had two hits and an RBI, with Chriss’s RBI double in the eighth slamming off the wall in left-center. Farrington’s RBI came on a sacrifice fly that scored Chriss a batter later after a wild pitch moved him over to third.

Freshman starters Josh Staumont and Trevor Oaks will take the mound for each of tomorrow’s games as part of a series-ending doubleheader with the Warriors. The right-handers have just one win in each of their last four outings. Game one will start at noon at Eagles Diamond.