Staff Editorial: campus eateries need more weekend hours

It seems unrealistic for the Caf to have such limited hours on the weekends for hungry college students.

The outdoor Caf patio will add an additional 120 seats and include plastic shields for climate control. The addition will be located just off Sutherland Way. | Hannah Caprara/THE CHIMES

Chimes Staff, Writer

The Caf's hours are limited on the weekends leaving many Biola students with inconvenient meal options. | Hannah Caprara/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Contrary to popular belief, not all college students — including Biolans — leave campus on the weekend. While some students can enjoy time away at home for a day or two and thus enjoy a home-cooked, provided meal, some are not so fortunate. And, while others can afford to spend money here or there at off-campus dining venues for their weekend meals, not all of us college students wish to spend our savings on fast food and the like. So, where does that leave us poor, campus-dwelling kids? The Caf. That is, during its meager open and operating weekend hours.

The Caf is open for a grand total of three and a half hours on Saturdays — and for those of us without a block meal plan, we can only dine-in twice on Saturdays. While not everyone holds to this social dining ritual, it’s safe to assume that most people eat at least three meals a day as we’ve been raised to do.

What’s more, the Caf opens its doors at 10:30 a.m. — and while many college kids don’t roll out of bed until late afternoon, there are those of us who have places to go, have things to do and are in need of a solid breakfast earlier than mid-morning. Ironically enough, those college kids that do sleep until 1 p.m. or later are also are out of luck, seeing as the Caf’s doors close shortly after noon.

While the Caf is open for all three meals on Sunday, the total is a mere four hours of available dining time — the mealtime options are limited and unrealistic. For those of us who attend church later in the day, a 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. breakfast slot is unhelpful. And if we attend church more than a few miles away, making it back to the Caf in time for lunch between 12 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. is a hassle. If someone happens to have the outrageous idea of getting a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning, their sole option is Caf coffee, since Common Grounds is closed.

The Caf’s weekend hours would be a bit more understandable if there were other on-campus options open during the same time period. But there is no Saturday night food option after 6:30 p.m. Most college students enjoy eating on campus after 6:30 p.m., but at Biola, this isn’t an option.

Campus seems dead on Saturday nights because nothing is open. If these eateries were open then the campus would see more life on the weekends. The students should not be stuck without any indoor, on-campus spot for socializing other than dorms and the SUB. Eagles Nest and Common Grounds are not just places to get food, but places for students to hang out and further community. By limiting their hours, Bon Appétit is not only limiting the students’ supply for food, but removing a huge part of our community.