Slater’s homer lifts baseball to victory over San Diego Christian

Paul Slater’s three-run, seventh-inning home run aided Eagles in 8-4 win against San Diego Christian College on Saturday.

Conner Penfold, Writer

Sophomore right fielder Paul Slater rakes a single on Feb. 26 against Whittier College. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

It was perfect timing for Biola right fielder Paul Slater.

The sophomore launched a three-run shot in the seventh inning — his first home run since he was 12-years old — to give Biola a 6-4 lead as the Eagles eventually closed out San Diego Christian College 8-4.

“It was so awesome,” Slater said.

Slater entered his crucial seventh-inning at-bat having grounded out twice and struck out and decided to take a different approach this time around.

“I kept missing good pitches to hit in my previous at-bats so I wanted to focus on finding the right pitch and driving it,” he said. “I just relaxed up there and swung hard.”

The NAIA’s doubles leader has five RBIs in his last three games.

Turner dominates aside from third-inning lapse

Senior right-hander Nick Turner picked up his team-leading fifth win after struggling in the early innings. With a 1-0 lead in the second, San Diego Christian tied the game on a wild pitch and in the third, first baseman Taylor Eichhorst’s three-run homer put the Hawks up 4-1.

Turner proceeded to retire the next 14 batters — six by way of the strikeout — on his way to his third complete game of the season.

“I never would have been able to stay in that game if I didn’t think my teammates were behind me,” Turner said. “After Paul [Slater] hit that home run, I felt I owed them my 100-percent and that’s what they were going to get.”

Turner finished the game striking out a career-best 13 batters. His season total of 47 is second among all NAIA pitchers.

Lawrence remains hot for Eagles

Junior outfielder Vince Lawrence connected for three more hits in Saturday’s win — his third three-hit performance in the last five games. Lawrence knocked in an insurance run in the eighth with a single to put Biola up by four.

Biola is concluding a three-game set with San Diego Christian today with a home doubleheader starting at noon. Freshman right-handers Josh Staumont and Trevor Oaks will throw for the Eagles.