Men’s and women’s tennis pick up victories

Both men and women’s tennis teams defeated Arizona Christian University on Friday.

David Wahlman

David Wahlman/THE CHIMES

Anders Corey, Writer

Sophomore Lauren Vogel swings her racket to send the ball back over the net. | David Wahlman/THE CHIMES

Men’s tennis picked up their second victory of the season Friday against Arizona Christian University 5-4, but followed it up with a 6-3 loss to Hope International University.

In their victory against ACU, their first Golden State Athletic Conference match win this season, the Eagles faced only five Firestorm players. Sophomore Brandon Chang won the match clinching match-up at No. 3 singles taking down Tyler Cawthorne.

Against Hope, the Eagles fell behind Early, losing the first four match-ups. Biola needed big performances from Chang and senior David Mossman to stay in the match. Mossman was able to rally off a 6-2, 6-2 straight sets victory and Chang picked up a hard fought three-set victory.

Biola’s hopes of winning the match slipped away after Hope took the first two doubles, but Chang and freshman Rodric Pence pulled off a 9-7 victory in the third doubles match-up to close out the match.

On the women’s side of the court the Eagles picked up their first win of the year defeating ACU, but followed that up with losses to California Institute of Technology Saturday and Hope Tuesday.

Biola left the singles part of the ACU match at an even 3-3 tie, needing to take two of the three doubles match-ups to win. The Eagles quickly took the first two doubles matchups with freshmen Susan Carmichael and Kathryn Ashford taking the first one and senior Alisha Hansen and freshman Olivia Koelsch winning the second.

The Eagles’ fell at Pasadena to Cal Tech 7-2 and Hope 5-4 to drop their record to 1-7 overall and 1-4 in Golden State Athletic Conference play.