Firestorm bring the rain in second half against Biola basketball

Men’s basketball were unable to beat the heat in Phoenix as Arizona Christian cruised to a 67-61 victory.

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

The Eagles were unable to ride the momentum of defeating Concordia University Irvine this weekend and fell on the road to No. 25 Arizona Christian University Tuesday night 67-61.

A solid and productive first half which saw the Eagles leading 35-28 at halftime was not enough to hold off the Firestorm. Arizona Christian went on a 14-2 run over the first part of the second half to take a two-point lead. Despite a few back-and-forth lead changes over the next few minutes, ACU took the lead off a 3-pointer with nine minutes to go and never gave it up.

Biola’s second half woes can be attributed not only to bad defense, but also a decline in shooting. The Eagles lost it at the 3-point line, going from 5-12 in the first half to 2-10 in the second. The men also dropped from 46.5 percent from the field to 32 percent in the second.

Sophomore forward Mike Kurtz led the Eagles with 14 points, also snagging eight rebounds. Junior guard Zack Zaragoza added 13 points, while senior forward David Cline grabbed a team high 10 boards.

Saturday is Senior Night at Chase Gymnasium, as the Eagles take on No. 6 Westmont College. Westmont come in, despite dominating most of the Golden State Athletic Conference this season, following a 93-61 deflating loss to Concordia University Irvine. Scheduled for a 7:30 P.M. tipoff, the final regular season game will decide seeding for the Eagles heading into GSAC Tournament.