Baseball’s Turner shelled in loss to Azusa Pacific

The Eagles lost to APU on Friday in a 7-2 game.

Senior Nick Turner continued his dominant final year, lowering his season ERA to 0.39 and improving his record to 3-0. Last season Turner went 5-6 overall with an ERA of 4.33. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Conner Penfold, Writer

Senior starting pitcher Nick Turner throws a pitch against Arizona Christian University on February 10. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Azusa Pacific University defeated Biola baseball on Friday night 7-2, one day after losing to the Eagles by 11.

Just five days after throwing arguably the best game of his collegiate career —  a complete-game shutout of Arizona Christian University — senior starting pitcher Nick Turner fell back to earth.

“I think I’m just a better hitter,” Turner joked.

Azusa Pacific got to Turner early and often, scoring runs in each of the three innings in which they faced the right-hander, including a devastating four-run fourth. When the book had closed on his night, Turner had given up seven runs on nine hits in just 2.1 innings.

“It was hard to focus out there,” he said. “I didn’t know if I was pitching for Biola or throwing APU batting practice.”

The loss is Turner’s first of the year and drops Biola to a record of 10-5, while Azusa’s win is just its second.

Eagles held in check by Azusa’s Plowman

Biola tied the game at two apiece in the second inning, scoring runs off a Johnny Farrington RBI-safety squeeze and a failed pickoff attempt to first base, allowing junior third baseman David McNeill to score from third. But Azusa’s starting pitcher Jason Plowman settled down after that, keeping the Eagles scoreless the rest of his seven-inning outing to record his second win of the year.

Biola’s lone bright spot in the loss was sophomore right-hander David Schwab, who replaced Turner in the third inning. The six-foot, eight-inch Schwab pitched shutout ball for the final 5.2 innings and gave up just two hits.

Considered the team’s fourth starter, Schwab lowered his ERA to 0.84 with the scoreless outing.

Sutherland’s hit streak ends at 13

After being hit by a pitch in the first, center fielder Benji Sutherland failed to reach base in his final three at-bats, ending his team-high 13-game hitting streak.

Outfielders Vince Lawrence and Paul Slater each had two-hit nights for the Eagles.

Tomorrow’s home doubleheader will conclude this four-game, non-conference series and will begin at 11 a.m.