Athlete of the Week: baseball’s Thorne quickly excelling in freshmen year

Freshman Sam Thorne has been having a fantastic first baseball season at Biola.

Freshman Sam Thorne stands safely at second base after an RBI-double in Saturday’s loss to Arizona Christian University. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Conner Penfold, Writer

Freshman catcher and third baseman Sam Thorne is one of Biola baseball’s many talented first-year recruits. The program lost 15 of the 29 athletes that suited up for head coach John Verhoeven in 2012, including four-year starter Vinnie Fayard and NAIA All-American Drake Fages. The two combined to drive in 172 runs in their final two years, accounting for one-fourth of the team’s total offense.

Understandably, the team needed revamping.

But Thorne didn’t expect to produce offensively on a caliber quite this high.

“I’ve been really surprised by how much I’ve gotten to play,” Thorne said, who’s been in the starting lineup for 12 of the first 13 games. “I definitely didn’t expect to be starting like I’ve been. My expectations were just to help the team in any way I could.”

Thorne quickly accomplished “help” and has moved on to “lead.”

Pacing the team with 15 RBIs, the Watsonville native’s hot start ranks him second in the Golden State Athletic Conference and has him on track for more than 70 RBIs, something only one Eagle has done in the last nine years.

He has already developed into somewhat of a clutch hitter as nine of his 15 RBIs have come with two outs, including all six in last weekend’s 13-2 thrashing of Westmont College.

Freshman Sam Thorne bats in the fourth inning of Sunday afternoon’s shutout of Arizona Christian University. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Thorne playing both catcher and third base

“I came in kind of not sure what to expect,” Thorne said, “but I had success in high school so I was pretty confident that I could contribute.”

Recruited out of Monte Vista Christian High School to play catcher for Biola, Thorne has found himself splitting time behind the dish with junior transfer Nick Oddo and securing the hot corner when Oddo is in the squat.

“I haven’t played [third base] in two years but I’d say I’m pretty comfortable there,” said Thorne, who played third and pitched in high school alongside catching.

When questioned about preference, however, Thorne’s choice is behind the plate.

“If I had to pick one I’d pick catcher because you’re in the action all the time, which I love, but third base gives me a rest because it’s easier on my [knees],” he said.

Thorne has started six games at catcher and six at third base, recording just one error thus far at third.

When catching, freshman Sam Thorne (right) has paired nicely with fellow first-year man Trevor Oaks (left). At the plate, Thorne leads the team with 15 RBIs and a .439 batting average. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Thorne enjoys freshman trio of talent

Thorne and starting pitchers Trevor Oaks and Josh Staumont make up the three talented freshmen already making heavy impacts on the team’s 9-4 start. Thorne and Oaks have teamed up on two occasions, striking out 16 batters in 12 innings.

“Honestly, that’s been my favorite part about this season so far,” Thorne said about catching Oaks and Staumont. “Those two are pretty unbelievably talented. They can definitely throw the ball.”

Though Oaks is in his second year with the team, Tommy John surgery set him back a year, and now has him entering as a redshirt freshman alongside the true first-year men Thorne and Staumont.

“We’re [all] coming into the college game together so it’s been fun learning with them,” Thorne said. “I’ve been able to help them out and they’ve been able to help me out.

“It’s fun to get that freshman dynamic working,” he said.